Spring Break brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrwHock

Reaction score
Hey fellow brewheads. I'm a college student and my spring break is next week. Its about time for another brew day, though, and I'll be doing some charity work pretty far away during the break. Do you guys think its wise to brew beer then pitch the yeast before I leave. I think it has some pros and cons.

I'll be less likely to worry about a nonactive bubbler and I won't be able to touch the beer during the fermentation process, reducing the risk of contamination, but the downside is that I'll be gone and won't be able to keep an eye on it in case of a vigorous fermentation.

Do you guys have any advice? Should I just set it up with my airlock and forget about it? I don't know if I'll have time to go out and get extra tubing and junk for a blowoff tube by then. Thanks guys, you rock! :rockin:

(Making an irish red, btw 6# gold LME, 12 Oz Caramel 40 L, 2 oz special B, 2oz roasted barley, 2 oz. hops, forgot what kind I ordered, heh, munton's premium yeast)

How big is your primary? Are you brewing a big beer that is likely to ferment vigorously?

You could always play it safe and brew something like a Hefeweizen.

Edit: Whoops didn't catch the edit. That recipe looks like it could be a toss-up. I probably would not go without a blowoff hose, but I seem to have a gift for over-active yeast.

I have a 7 gallon bucket that I ferment in. There SHOULD be plenty of room on top so I probably won't need a blowoff tube, but I think I'm going to try to get one anyway. Insurance is always a good thing. If I don't though, I'm going to take some extra precautions, like lining the room with plastic or something and perhaps covering the bucket with something.

Back