Help with this Octoberfest/Marzen....for March then lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi V,

Sure. Put it up on Hopville. I've never surfed that site but I'll have to check it out.

I don't remember my method for this recipe (i didn't record it at the time). I would guess it was a 30min boil @ with the LME, DME & honey then adding the kit at Flame out. I have read since that adding the honey after the boil lends more honey aroma to the brew. None the less I think this one has plenty of flavour/aroma.:D

I bulk primed it with 200g (7.14oz.). It has lots of bubbles. Maybe a little too much.

Hey all, wanted to check in - just had another bottle. Remember, I've left it in a cellar since the bottling. Lately, here in MI, it's been up to 90 degrees in the day...in general, it's been about 75 in the room I have it in.

Tonight's taste-test yielded a nice malt profile with little hop to it. Very "carmely"....if that's a word :) I am REALLY looking forward to drinkin' this in late September!

Hey P,

Thanks for the update. I've still got mine in the frig, cold lagering. I'm not going to sample until October. I'm going to keg it (1st time) and throw an Oktoberfest party.

Hey all, wanted to check in - just had another bottle. Remember, I've left it in a cellar since the bottling. Lately, here in MI, it's been up to 90 degrees in the day...in general, it's been about 75 in the room I have it in.

Tonight's taste-test yielded a nice malt profile with little hop to it. Very "carmely"....if that's a word :) I am REALLY looking forward to drinkin' this in late September!

90?!!!! 90?!!! Break out the parkas man!

We be melting down here in Alabama....update....bottling this weekend....
will condition at 70-75* for two weeks then back in fridge until 9/22.....will taste once a week.....

Hope all is well with you guys and ....hey P, you a Meeeechigan fan? I went to Alabama and we play UM in Dallas first game......just wondering?

V

Ha, your point is well taken, V :) It did get up to 100 last week and I'm not sure what's going to happen for the rest of the summer. Either way, I'm still satisfied with the brew. Again, CHEERS for the recipe! As fast as time is going by, we'll be having this in no time.

On the sports side, my experience/fandom is pretty limited. One of the buddies I brew with, on the other hand, is pretty much psycho about the 'mazin' blue :) if I'm at his place for a BBQ or something, I'm sure I'll get to see the game.

Hey Gang,

I just bottle my M/O today after 5 months of cold lagering. I had the last sip out of the bottling bucket as I normally do. Wow! This one is amazing! This should be really nice by mid October.

Hey guys.
Whats up green?
Crap. I thought I had posted when I bottled. Oh well, I bottled weekend before last and tasted one Monday. Obviously not yet carbed but tasted stupid good. This one is a keeper.
P, where you at? How's yours going?

V

Hey guys, I'll let ya know next week actually. In order to stay "true to the spirit"...or something...of Oktoberfest, I'm having a little party at my place this weekend. I've managed to NOT drink more than....4 bottles total to date. So, this shindig will coincide with the kickoff in Munich for 9/22 :) I will be pullin' out the big cooler and icin' everything down and expect to have MOST of the batch gone by the end of the evening. Will get to watch M vs Notre Dame too!

NICE!
Let us know how it goes....I tasted another one of mine last night and it needs at least a few more days to carb, but tasted great should be perfect for 9/22. Made these labels and now I'm working on one for the Oktoberfest...I'll post it when I'm done.

V

Octoberfest.jpg

Centennial IPA.jpg

Poes pumpkin ale.jpg

I am impressed with ALL your labels man. Very professional. I still use window marker on my bottles because we go through them so fast lol.

OK! So, the party was a success. Went through a lot of beer in general and about 3/4s of the Oktoberfest. I will make the slight change in the hop qty as there was a bit more residual bitterness than is typical for the Marzen style if I'm thinking correctly. I did the original recipe just before you made the hop change to lower ;) So, you are probably gonna have the more maltier style you wanted. Hopefully you've been enjoying yours now for a while?

Thanks again for the recipe! I will be looking forward to making this next year!

Hey Guys,

So, I broke into the Marzen this passed weekend. I brought 1/2 the batch on ice down to a friends place for a Thanksgiving/Oktoberfest party. Wow!:mug: I am very impressed if I must say. So dark and malty with an amazingly clean finish and just a hint of hops flavour. I am very pleased with the results after 5 months of lagering @ 2-4C. I don't think I'll change a thing for next year.

BTW...
V,
Awesome Labels, Dude!

Hey Voodoocurt! It's been a long time but I've had this on my list since the previous year. Moved to NJ so I didn't have the chance in 2013 to make it. But I did today. I changed to AG now so I did the following from the "updated" recipe:
- 10lb Munich
- .5 Vienna
- .5 Biscuit
- .5 Crystal 60

1 oz German Hallertauer @ 60
1 oz German Tettnang @ 30
4 tsp of Fermax @ 30
1 tsp of Irish Moss @ 30

OG is @ 1.054 @ 68* and I'll report after 3 weeks primary what next gravity reading is before I transfer to carboy for 1 month lagering period.

I used WLP820 and made a 3l starter earlier this week. I made that choice due to the time people said it takes with this yeast. I decanted almost all of the beer (just realized I should have drank it) and had a good amount of yeast to put in there.

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. It was a much lighter color without the LME so I'm curious what it will be at the end.

Thanks again for the recipe!

Transferring today after 3 weeks @ ~55*. I let it raise to 68 for 24 hours and will be lagering for approximately 4 weeks in my keezer @ 36-40*.

When transferring, SG was 1.010 @ 68 so that gives me a 5.9% right now. It tastes like an Oktoberfest!

Back