yeast aroma, but no off-flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vermicous

Reaction score
I brewed an extract lager this winter, it's been months since I used extract and my first attempt at a lager. The flavor is perfect, no real off-flavors with a clean malt taste and good hop flavor. But the aroma is just weird, yeasty is the only thing I can compare it to.

The recipe was made from John Bull pale liquid extract and I used hallertau for bittering and flavor. Is the aroma natural for these hops and extract? I am happy with the brew and have received compliments for it, but would love to know why I am getting a funky smell from it.

Might just be the type of yeast, and the concentration. Chimay Blue has a good amount of yeast smell and flavor and it's a kick a#s beer IMO.

I used white labs German Lager strain. I also did two bocks using the recycled yeast, when they are done lagering I will have to see if they have the same smell.

Back