ebay aquarium temp controller build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used 18 gauge on mine, but I didnt add any wires. I just removed and replaced the stock thermostat.

At first I was just going to buy a 1 stage seeing as I thought I'd never need a heat option. But it seems everyone says 2 stage is better. My question though is I'm not able to really find a 2 stage Fahrenheit controller (Yes I know I could just get Celsius, No I'm just lazy and don't want to print a chart). All the links posted recently are dead and eBay seems to only have 1 stage stc-1000's.
Second thing I was curious about is I've noticed people asking if these controller could handle the Amps from the freezer itself. I've been trying to find out what my freezer's amp rating is, but I'm still waiting for it to be delivered to my house. Its a Idylis 7-cu ft from Lowes. Not sure if anyone else has one and can let me know if the STC will work fine with this. Maybe I'm just over thinking things. Any help would be appreciated.

Theheadsn..I have the same size freezer and didn't do anything special besides use a 12 amp appliance plug for wall. My unit is external from freezer with a Celsius stc and house wall plug. Good luck! Best thing I ever did to help my brews :)

Few pics

1402589577250.jpg

1402589599638.jpg

AMy question though is I'm not able to really find a 2 stage Fahrenheit controller (Yes I know I could just get Celsius, No I'm just lazy and don't want to print a chart). All the links posted recently are dead and eBay seems to only have 1 stage stc-1000's.

Here's where you can find your controller:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/eb...roller-build-163849/index405.html#post6024764

As for being able to handle your freezer, the 10 amp relay's should be enough to power your standard home fridge or freezer. If you do run into problems, you can always wire in a larger relay to handle the increased load. I did this for my LHBS on their hop fridge and will be doing their yeast one shortly.

I used your plans and pictures and built the controller for about $25.00. Used to control my keezer which has a STC1000 installed for fermentation. Cannot do that now for the keezer is for cold crashing/gelatin and CO2 plus aging.......Not forgetting the three taps for the drinking!!!
I now have the controller on a refregeratot downstairs which will be for fermenting and cold crashing my secondary fermenters.
Thanx a lot: oldgringo

With me being lazy and not wanting to search through this whole thread, does anyone know if this temp controller could also be used for a heating element in a HERMS?

With me being lazy and not wanting to search through this whole thread, does anyone know if this temp controller could also be used for a heating element in a HERMS?
It can be used to control a contactor, relay, or SSR that is rated to carry the current demanded by the element. The controller is only rated for 10amps Max.

So I ordered an STC-1000 from ebay seller "iluckydog" for $12.83 (shipping included). Seemed too good to be true, and it was. They sent me a WK7016C1, which is a single-stage controller. :mad: That being said, after I let them know of my dissatisfaction, they refunded $5, so now I have a decent single stage controller for $7.83. :eek:nestar::hs::es::es::es:

Something to look for: even though the description said STC-1000, the image in the posting was of the WK7016C1. I was looking at so many different ads I never even noticed. Looking around since, it seems a lot of ebay sellers follow this same pattern. It's not to say where the image is an STC-1000, you're sure to get one, but I'd guess where the image is not an STC-1000, you're pretty sure to not get one.

On a happier note, I picked up a decent fridge for $20, so now for a total of just $27.83 I can make true lagers in the hot weather!!! :mug:

Hi guys, I just got an STC-100 and I need a real clear picture of how the wiring goes. I'm not a good electrician, but I can follow a white wire to where it goes and a black wire to where it goes. I know where ground goes.
I'm only going to be using the cooling part of the STC-1000 so I only need to see how that would be wired. I've looked at all the diagrams and pictures here, but am still confused.
Thanks for any help.

Hi guys, I just got an STC-100 and I need a real clear picture of how the wiring goes. I'm not a good electrician, but I can follow a white wire to where it goes and a black wire to where it goes. I know where ground goes.
I'm only going to be using the cooling part of the STC-1000 so I only need to see how that would be wired. I've looked at all the diagrams and pictures here, but am still confused.
Thanks for any help.

http://mostlyharmlessbrewing.com/2013/08/24/keezer-temp-controller-stc-1000/

Here's a post I did, I've been told it's easy to follow. LMK if you have any questions.

Thanks itme. That was very helpful. I printed it out and did my timer in about 30 minutes. I'm now up and running.

Thanks.

I wired mine up last night. I repurposed an old discarded cast aluminum box as an enclosure. All wire is 12 gauge as that is what I had on hand. The attached pic was snapped during bench calibration (looks close enough.....).

tmp_20140820_1029072128466701.jpg

So we've determined that running a keezer too frequently can be damage the compressor. The analogy I was given is pedalling a bicycle - getting started is what is most exhausting and wearing.

However, can anybody comment on whether running the compressor for continuous, extended periods of time can also damage the unit? Is a 1 to 1.5 hour run too long if the keezer only turns on 3 or so times per day?

So let get this right 1 5,7 are hot wires and 6,8 are neutral

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ok i got it now and my controller is working great thanks for the help.i fried my first one i put the neutral wires all together my problem was i didn't understand how the controller works now i do :mug:

Hullo smart folks. I just picked up my chest freezer on Craiglist and now I'm on my way to kegging my beer. Next task: temp control.

Can anyone confirm that this temp controller on eBay will do the trick?

I understand it only has one relay but I'm not looking to run a fermentation chamber or anything - just my keezer. Thanks for your help!

Hullo smart folks. I just picked up my chest freezer on Craiglist and now I'm on my way to kegging my beer. Next task: temp control.

Can anyone confirm that this temp controller on eBay will do the trick?

I understand it only has one relay but I'm not looking to run a fermentation chamber or anything - just my keezer. Thanks for your help!

Yep, I have one that's nearly identical to that controlling my keezer, and it works great. The wiring is a bit different than the STC-1000. It would look very similar to this:
5712-5118.jpg

I just hooked up a single stage STC controller. After searching this thread (and others) I've found the following settings to be common on single stage controllers:

HC Heating or Cooling mode control
d Temperature differential
LS Minimum set limits
HS Maximum set limits
CA Tempreature calibration
PT Compressor delay

But my unit has two additional settings:
AL
AH

Does anyone know what those are?

I'd guess AL and AH are the settings for a Low Temperature Alarm and a High Temperature Alarm, respectively.

fwiw, there is no such thing as a "single stage STC controller".
You have some other unit, perhaps a WillHi, maybe an MH1210, but it's definitely not an "STC-1000"...

Cheers!

I'd guess AL and AH are the settings for a Low Temperature Alarm and a High Temperature Alarm, respectively.

fwiw, there is no such thing as a "single stage STC controller".
You have some other unit, perhaps a WillHi, maybe an MH1210, but it's definitely not an "STC-1000"...

Cheers!

Thanks! And sorry about the terminology. I do have an STC-1000 in another controller, and this one looks similar to it (bought it by mistake), so I thought maybe it had a different model number (e.g. "STC-xxxx). Either way, it was THIS ONE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, that's the WillHi 7016. Works just fine as a single-stage controller.
Displays in Fahrenheit, and, rather uniquely, has the high and low temperature alarm settings...

Cheers!

Yep, I have one that's nearly identical to that controlling my keezer, and it works great. The wiring is a bit different than the STC-1000.

Thanks again for the chart. This thing was surprisingly easy to put together (I'm not much of a DIYer.) It came out pretty good I think:

temp%2Bcontrol%2B2.jpg

My finished build...Left socket is for Heat(bottom) and Cool(top), Right socket is always hot. Added a power switch with fuse and a plug-in socket, a jack for temp probe so I could disconnect both for easy storage and movement, LEDs as well.

Controller top.jpg

Controller front.jpg

controller back.jpg

My finished build...Left socket is for Heat(bottom) and Cool(top), Right socket is always hot. Added a power switch with fuse and a plug-in socket, a jack for temp probe so I could disconnect both for easy storage and movement, LEDs as well.

Nice build!! I'm going to redo mine in the near future. My first one works, but it looks pretty rough. I love the switch and jack for the temp probe. It all looks VERY clean. I like the idea for an always hot outlet as well. That could be quite handy. Nice job! I'll be redoing mine just like yours.

Edit: What power supply are you usin?

Nice build!! I'm going to redo mine in the near future. My first one works, but it looks pretty rough. I love the switch and jack for the temp probe. It all looks VERY clean. I like the idea for an always hot outlet as well. That could be quite handy. Nice job! I'll be redoing mine just like yours.

Edit: What power supply are you usin?
Thanks! It plugs into a wall socket... The A/C cord is not shown. Its a standard computer power cord that plugs into the unit. I wanted it to be fused and also be able to remove the power cord and temp. probe when needed. The power switch is fused. The small connector on the back is for the temp. probe.

Thanks! It plugs into a wall socket... The A/C cord is not shown. Its a standard computer power cord that plugs into the unit. I wanted it to be fused and also be able to remove the power cord and temp. probe when needed. The power switch is fused. The small connector on the back is for the temp. probe.

Wait a minute?!? You use a wall socket?!?!? That just sounds crazy!

It looks like it would fit the standard computer cord, but I wasn't sure. I love the clean look with everything able to unplug from the unit. Again, nice job!! I'll be doing something very similar.

Wait a minute?!? You use a wall socket?!?!? That just sounds crazy!

It looks like it would fit the standard computer cord, but I wasn't sure. I love the clean look with everything able to unplug from the unit. Again, nice job!! I'll be doing something very similar.

The temperature control unit is 110V so yes it plugs into the a socket just like a refrigerator does.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KVCPH2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Specification and Size:
1.Front panel size75(L)×34.5(W)mm;
2.Mounting size:71(L)×29(W)mm;
3.Product size75(L)×34.5(W)×85(D)mm;
4.sensor length2minclude the probe.

Technical Parameters:
1. Temperature measuring range: -50~99oC;
2. Resolution: 0.1°C; 3. Accuracy: ±1°C (-50~70°C);
4. Sensor error delay: 1 minute
5. Power supply: 110VAC±10%, 50/60Hz;
6. Power consumption: ≤3W;
7. Sensor: NTC sensor (1PC);
8. Relay contact capacity: Cool 10A/250VAC;Heat 10A/250VAC;
9. Ambient temperature: 0~60°C;
10.Storage temperature: -30~75°C;
11.Relative humidity: 20%~85% (No condensate).

Package Content:
1PCS STC-1000 Temperature controller 110v

The temperature control unit is 110V so yes it plugs into the a socket just like a refrigerator does.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KVCPH2/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Specification and Size:
1.Front panel size75(L)×34.5(W)mm;
2.Mounting size:71(L)×29(W)mm;
3.Product size75(L)×34.5(W)×85(D)mm;
4.sensor length2minclude the probe.

Technical Parameters:
1. Temperature measuring range: -50~99oC;
2. Resolution: 0.1°C; 3. Accuracy: ±1°C (-50~70°C);
4. Sensor error delay: 1 minute
5. Power supply: 110VAC±10%, 50/60Hz;
6. Power consumption: ≤3W;
7. Sensor: NTC sensor (1PC);
8. Relay contact capacity: Cool 10A/250VAC;Heat 10A/250VAC;
9. Ambient temperature: 0~60°C;
10.Storage temperature: -30~75°C;
11.Relative humidity: 20%~85% (No condensate).

Package Content:
1PCS STC-1000 Temperature controller 110v

Sorry...I assumed you were being sarcastic in your previous comment, because how else would you plug the controller in? I'm well aware of what an stc-1000 is capable of as I already own one and have used it for a few years now with both my fermentation chamber and keezer. I just wasn't sure what kind of cord you used to plug into the male power socket on your enclosure.

Oh... sorry...when I saw this on your post "Edit: What power supply are you usin?" I thought maybe you were thinking it was powered by 12V or other supply..my bad...

Post pictures when you build a new one...

Oh... sorry...when I saw this on your post "Edit: What power supply are you usin?" I thought maybe you were thinking it was powered by 12V or other supply..my bad...

Post pictures when you build a new one...

O no problems here! I misread you completely. Will do. It may be some time as I have to prioritize my brewing projects. Otherwise we would be broke and SWMBO would kill me!! She already thinks I have way too much brewing stuff.

Back