If you could only buy 2 types of grain in bulk...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HossTheGreat

Reaction score
What would they be? I know this will vary depending on what you brew, but am assuming that 2 row (or MO) will be included in most everyone's list. But am curious as to what the other type of grain would be.

Two row and Pilsner.

With 2-row you can make your own crystal and other roasted and even smoked malts.

And some of my recipes call for pilsner malts...so I think I would be covered. Maybe...then I would miss Marris Otter...Damn you and your challenge...:D

Mo and 2-row. I just got into a bulk grain buy and bought 2 bags 2-row and 1 bag MO. I now wish I would have bought 2 MO and 1 2-row.

If by bulk you mean 'by the sack', my answer is MO and Pils (since they are the only two malts I ever buy in that kind of quantity).

Speciality malts I buy 5 - 10 lbs at a time.

Two row and Pilsner.

With 2-row you can make your own crystal and other roasted and even smoked malts.

And some of my recipes call for pilsner malts...so I think I would be covered. Maybe...then I would miss Marris Otter...Damn you and your challenge...:D

lol...Revvy could you also roast and smoke the MO like you would the 2 row?

I splurged recently and bought 4 types:
2 row
Pils
MO
Munich

If I had to buy 2 only, I'd go straight 2 row and pils.

I'm not set up to lager just yet, so I don't use much pils.
I have 4 sacks of 2 row right now tho, that covers me for most of my brews. Next time I'll probably buy a sack of wheat, and maybe some MO, golden promise, and munich.

2-Row and Pils. You can almost kinda get MO flavor with specialty malts, but you can't brew clean american ales with MO, IMO. Since I love me some american ales, I pick 2-row. And you gotta have pils for the continental lagers.

I should have qualified my answer. I use the 2-row mostly for American style pale ales, American IPAs. The Pils is mostly for Belgians.

Back