Aging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peregris

Reaction score
I have made a number of batches of beer, but never tried a cider until now. I got the 1gal glass jug from Whole Foods, pitched some yeast and stuck on a stopper and an airlock. After fermentation died down I added some golden raisins to the jug. Fermentation died down again and I just racked to new containers to age.

My question is - does the aging of the cider drastically affect the taste or is it more for clearing? I tried a little after racking and I have to say it tastes pretty bad. Not vinegary, just bad.

I know all about the virtues of patience and RDW... Also the advice to never dump a batch. I've had bad tasting green beers turn out to be amazing finished beers. But I'm new to ciders and since it's only 1 gal and was inexpensive, would you advise dumping the rest and trying other juice or waiting the whole 6 mos. or more for it to properly age?

aging affects taste. the yeast are cleaning up after themselves as well as clearing the cider. wait the 6 months.

I just had my first experience with cider and it tasted great at 6 months. I didn't try it before that but I'm sure it would have tasted bad.

Back