grain crush: wheat with barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anderj

Reaction score
I haven't brewed a weissbier in a while, and while getting the grain from work I just spaced it and mixed all of the grain together. 9 lb Organic malted wheat, 7 lb weyermann pilsner. I realized that they might need to be milled separately but do you think I will be OK milling the whole bunch together? I was thinking about milling the whole thing with a finer crush than usual and add 1.5 -2 lb rice hulls.
Any thoughts?

-Ander

I have my mill set to crush wheat and am in the habit of just leaving the finer setting to crush the barley also. I end up with a very severe crush but I also use a braided s.s. instead of a false bottom and have never had a problem with a stuck mash.
mark
Beer Diary...

while getting the grain from work

where do you work?

You will be fine, there is no consequence, it is all going to be mashed and become one eventually

what kind ogf mill do you have? I don't really see the benefit to milling finer and adding rice hulls, but I have never tried

On my first batch, also a weisbier, with my Barley Crusher I did not have a drill that could power it so I decided to hand crank it. I wanted to double crush the wheat and single crush the pils malt, it is damn near impossible to crush wheat by hand. I did it but it sucked.

I brewed another batch the next week, I mixed them up and double crushed it all. Worked great, no sparge problems with my braid.

I realized that they might need to be milled separately but do you think I will be OK milling the whole bunch together? I was thinking about milling the whole thing with a finer crush than usual and add 1.5 -2 lb rice hulls.

Sounds like a plan to me. If you're doing a batch sparge and use a stainless braid, I would take the advice I read on here awhile back: crush your grain until you're scared you went to far...then crush again.

As far as not being able to hand crank to crush wheat, I'm not sure what the situation is with barley crushers, but I haven't had any issues hand cranking with my Pokart crushing wheat whatsoever (25lbs of wheat so far...)

Back