Do homebrewers like to cook?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockweezy

Reaction score
I find that cooking up a nice big meal is similar and just as satisfying as brewing a great beer. You share and enjoy them with friends and both are something you can be proud of. Both can be crappy too. Live and learn. Anyone else like to cook around here?

Hell yes! I love cooking and can see what you mean when you say it is similar to brewing. Both require patience, practice, knowledge of ingredients and techniques, and both give you something awesome in the end. Cooking seems a little cheaper though :D

I have no problem with it. I generally like to cook outdoors but during this time of year I cook a variety of things in the home.

+1 on that. All my friends know that if they come to my house theres a couple of channels that I (they) will be watching. First and foremost would be the food network, then the travel channel, discovery channel after that, then tbs (if Seinfeld is on). Even when a game is on espn, during the commercials its back to the food network. awww yeah....:ban:

BTW: Good Eats is the best show, followed by Iron Chef (food network)
Anthony Bourdain is the one i like for the travel channel. He's a
sarcastic assh@le just like me. I like to tell people I'm a
Sarcassh@ole:D

I'm not professional, but I devote almost as much time to cooking as homebrewing. I'm pretty huge into food science. Alton Brown started me. When I was introduced to "On Food and Cooking" my life was never the same.

Im a professional chef. I love to cook. I am a chef at the Excel Energy Center, thats where the Minnesota Wild play hockey. I just cooked for Slipknot on Friday. That was kick ass. I almost pee'd myself when I found out. My roomates love when I cook at home. They also recruit me to cook for our parties. And every Memorial weekend I host a BBQ and now we dont have to get a keg I can just make one.

I love to cook. Not very often, though. I don't like making routine dinners, etc, but I love making special dinners. Last weekend, I did a double brew day and while I was brewing, I make lamb shanks. I used my osso bucco recipe, just using lamb instead of veal. It turned out really well, and I served it over polenta.

Good thing that I don't have to cook very often, though- I'm the one who cooks about once or twice a week. Our house rule is "first one home cooks dinner". I manage to not be home first most of the time.

I've been a non cooker for 50 years. Now though, after one year brewing I am finding myself starting to cook too. I think the two are so closely related that if they married they would have retarded children.

My cooking hobby actually became part of my job. We run a recovery center for folks with chronic mental illness. I run a training kitchen there that serves 140-170 meals a day and we cater as well. I get my fill of cooking at work and like Yooper am home too late to cook at home during the week.

I love to cook, bake, make anything. I have been making my own bread for about 3 years, mostly by hand, but I use the bread machine when I'm feeling lazy. My SWMBO and I like to try different types of cuisines, ingredients, and methods frequently. I also make make my own sausage and want to start dry curing meat as well.

Anything made/built from scratch tastes/is better because it was made with your sweat and blood. This obsession of mine goes beyond food. I have a motorcycle I bought for $50 and rebuilt the whole thing. It means more to me than any off the lot bike I could buy; even if the off the lot bike would go faster and run more reliably.

:mug:

If it wasn't for my cooking, the kids would eat a lot of takeout since SWMBO can burn water!

I went from The Joy of Cooking to The Joy of Home Brewing back in the day.
YooperBrew, it seems you and I like the same foods ;)

I do 99% of the cooking here at home and sometimes at work too. Should've went to culinary school.

Cook all the time! If I didn't I would be eating a lot of the same thing over and over again as SWMBO doesn't enjoy cooking as much as I.

Had kitchen therapy on Sunday. Made an Irish Red Ale first, then a sausage and chicken gumbo. Stir wort for an hour, stir roux for an hour... Yum!

Had kitchen therapy on Sunday. Made an Irish Red Ale first, then a sausage and chicken gumbo. Stir wort for an hour, stir roux for an hour... Yum!

I do that during the winter especially brew beer and cook at the same time...one day I Brewed beer, roasted venison and baked bread at the same time...talk about the smell of heaven!!!

I do that during the winter especially brew beer and cook at the same time...one day I Brewed beer, roasted venison and baked bread at the same time...talk about the smell of heaven!!!

WOW Revvy, that's a lot of work, you must have slept like a bucket of snow!

Cooking for one is about as fun as brewing for one, but with beer you don't mind so much.

I've increased my cooking recently, despite the difficulty of cooking for one. It's definitely linked to my brewing.

I'm another that was into good food and cooking first. It seems only natural after all - if you like to cook from scratch and make something better than the usual swill, why would your drink be any different?

Hells yeah! I have been making a ton of homemade pasta recently. It tastes sooooo much better then boxed pasta and you can add in spices and herbs to give it a kick.

I'm in the same boat. I love cooking. Of course, being single, I do 100% of the cooking at my house. I have a 1954 Frigidaire electric stove that I cook on, as well as two barbecue grills in the back yard, and I'm in the process of gathering materials to build a built in parabolic brick oven.

I also have a weakness for wilton.
WiltonLogo8.png

I love to cook! Especially things that take a long, long time...there's nothing like taking a really tough piece of meat, some aromatics, and liquid, and transforming it into something magical (or a really tough piece of meat and some salt, if I want to cure something).

That's actually what drew me into homebrewing, I think...I've been progressing steadily to doing almost all of the work in my cooking (curing meat, making sausages, growing vegetables and preserving them, etc)...I suppose the time just came when I needed to start making my own beer.

I do all the cooking in the house. My wife won't touch it. I love to cook and I think doing all grain is like cooking and baking. You can add some of yor own special touches and techniques, but you gotta mind your measurements and calculations...

...I started brewing as an extension of my love of cooking.

Exactly the same for me. I LOVE to cook...the bigger the better.

But it has to have no obligation tied to it for me. What I mean is, if I HAVE to cook then it doesn't carry the same enjoyment as a cook-out or dinner party where we all hang out and play music and EAT!!

-Tripod

Back