Anyone in Canada brewing root beer from scratch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketsan

Reaction score
Having issues finding suppliers for ingredients. The ones I can find are sold in massive amounts. Just want to try it out before I go buying large amounts...

Hey rocketsan --- really depends. which end of the country are you from.......I'm from Alberta and have found some ingredients at a local store called Nutters. You can also try "bulk Barn" but i'm not sure if you have those kinds of stores where you are from.

I've been brewing it for a couple of years, getting the ingredients from the local natural foods hippie store. Wintergreen seems to be hard to find in a nice fresh state, I think because it is not used in much else than root beer. Sassafras, sarsaparilla, licorice, all widely available. I've also used chicory, dandelion root, orris root, astragalus root, ashwagandha root, angelica root, and a few others, all pretty available. You could also try web sources such as Wild Weeds or Mountain Rose Herbs.

Back