Trub in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgentHubcap

Reaction score
I bottled up a saison tonight that my co-brewer did on his own.

Here's the recipe: http://hopville.com/recipe/1525205/saison-recipes/rye-farmhouse-saison

It was a 10 gallon batch that was split into two ferementers. One had around 6 gallons in it, and that was bottled tonight.

This is my 18th batch that I've bottled, and I've never seen this much trub before. It had well over a gallon and a half of trub. We ended up with 46 1/2 bottles. What would cause THIS much trub? Saison yeast (it was our first saison)? Rye? (our first rye) Something else?

Was the mash filtered well before going into the fermenter? Did you use a hop bag or were they left in the batch? I would assume the higher trub one was the second fermenter to be filled? I would bet just a lot of the hop material and grain material made it into the wort and concentrated in one bucket.

Rye? (our first rye)

ding, ding, ding. When I've used much oats, wheat, etc. it has always lead to a lot of trub. There's a lot of proteins coming out of that stuff. Try to filter the wort better before racking to fermenter next time, if possible.

So, I popped one of these saisons today and it tastes like smokey bacon. Why would it possibly taste like bacon!??

Latest posts

Back