The 'C' Word

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SakARow

Reaction score
So, I just dreamed up a big IPA, I think I might be going a little overboard, but that is kinda what I'm shooting for.

I want a big IPA, not too much, but right on the line.

Here's what I'm thinking,

Ingredients:
17.0*lb (93.2%) Maris Otter - added during mash
0.75*lb (4.1%) Crystal Malt 40°L - added during mash
.5*lb (2.7%) Cara-Pils® Malt - added during mash

0.5*oz (8.3%) Columbus (15.0%) - added during boil, boiled 90.0*m
0.5*oz (8.3%) Chinook (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 90.0*m
0.5*oz (8.3%) Citra™ (12.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30.0*m
0.5*oz (8.3%) Chinook (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30.0*m
0.5*oz (8.3%) Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0*m
0.5*oz (8.3%) Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15.0*m
0.5*oz (8.3%) Cascade (5.5%) - flame out
0.5*oz (8.3%) Citra™ (12.0%) - flame out
0.5*oz (8.3%) Centennial (10.0%) - flame out
0.75*oz (8.3%) Centennial (10.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
0.75*oz (8.3%) Citra™ (12.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
0.75*oz (8.3%) Chinook (13.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter

00:15:00 Dough In - Liquor: 6.84*gal; Strike: 171.33*°F; Target: 156.0*°F
01:45:00 Rest - Rest: 90*m; Final: 153.6*°F
02:15:00 Sparge - Sparge Volume: 12.5*gal; Sparge Temperature: 180.0*°F; Runoff: 7.62*gal

I'm thinking british ale II for the yeast. Probably around 63dF for two days then raise 1dF for three days, hold for three days (66dF) followed by a crash cool at 36dF for four to five days then off to the keg! What do you think...

Oh yeah, I'll be making a big ass starter so the fermentation should only take about 4 days.

Sounds tasty to me! I might suggest adding a pound or so of corn or invert sugar to dry it out a bit, but I'm sure it would be great without it.

I'd recommend mashing a bit lower (149-151) because the cara-pils with and english yeast combo will leave you with a good amount of mouthfeel. I'd also adjust the hop schedule a bit. Maybe shift the 90min additions to 60min, 30min additions to 15-20min, and do a bit of a hop burst towards the end instead of adding it all at flame out.
Just my $.02.

Also, the fermentation schedule is probably too short. Don't rush it. Let the beer finish fermenting and give it ample time to clean up. You might be risking too much diacetyl with the British yeast and short fermentation.

Skip that early Citra addition and double the late one. Sounds like a killer beer, give it the time it needs, though. Too good a recipe to rush!

lestershy said:
I'd recommend mashing a bit lower (149-151) because the cara-pils with and english yeast combo will leave you with a good amount of mouthfeel. I'd also adjust the hop schedule a bit. Maybe shift the 90min additions to 60min, 30min additions to 15-20min, and do a bit of a hop burst towards the end instead of adding it all at flame out.
Just my $.02.

I was actually thinking of dialing it down a touch. I have a herms setup so I think what I'll do is start at 152 and raise it to 155 over an hour. That sounds fun :)

I'm shooting for a high dextrin content from a thick mash and a high temperature. I want to the final product to be around 90 IBUS but I want the beer to be residually malty to hold up to the high IBU.

sendkyleanemail said:
Skip that early Citra addition and double the late one. Sounds like a killer beer, give it the time it needs, though. Too good a recipe to rush!

great idea. gonna kick up the bittering hops to level out at 90 ibu total

1.087 OG at 70% efficiency. Personally I keep my malt fermentables at not more than 1.075 for an IPA, and if I want it stronger I make it up with sugar. I have a hard time getting anything more than 1.075 down into 1.012 range which is where I like my IPAs to finish. To each his own though, looks like a great beer. Going all fancy with the MO.

bottlebomber said:
1.087 OG at 70% efficiency. Personally I keep my malt fermentables at not more than 1.075 for an IPA, and if I want it stronger I make it up with sugar. I have a hard time getting anything more than 1.075 down into 1.012 range which is where I like my IPAs to finish. To each his own though, looks like a great beer. Going all fancy with the MO.

I can get it down to 1.012. Thats actually my target FG. Like I said, I make a big starter and give them plenty of oxygen. I use a yeast nutrient both in my starter and about 15 min to flame out. I normally get around 85% attenuation (dont quote me on apparent or actual).

I was kinda thinking of adding agave nectar, you may be on to something here...

I can take off 2lbs of two row and throw in 1 lb of agave and get the same OG as I have now. hhhhmmmmm....

I don't think you are overdoing it at all... on my big IPA's (7 top 9%) for a 5 gallon batch I will have anywhere from 8 to 12oz total in the boil and 4 to 6 oz dryhopping.

Back