What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2 cups of coffee & 2 more days to go till I finally get paid. I can pay for the Driver tools program that'll put back 32 drivers that are missing or out of date. Damn hackers & windows update. It dosen't automatically look for drivers...just security stuff. No smokes,no beer ready...I'm about to slip past downright bitchy!:mad:

morning coffee... woke up to my stirplate not spinning... looked at it a bit then gave up and needed to head to work... this gives me something to work on tonight- i wonder if my starter will be ok today just in the flask not spinning... oh well

just manually swirl it every now and again. Will not be as effective as fully stirplated, but you still are started.

What numbers (temp/volume/desired vol CO2) did you input on that site to get 2 oz? The default values (2.5 vols/70 deg/5 gal) spits out 4.47 oz, which jives with NB's.

I think I did 1.7 vols because of the suggested range for english browns of 1.5-2.3. Obviously I wont be going that low anymore but it also helps when there isnt a range for a particular beer but instead just one number

Take it to work with you :D

That would have been fun trying to explain why you are stirring this thing all day long. they probably would have asked why you didnt make a stirplate :D

Fuzzymittenbrewing said:
Hey Allen did you get a lot of citrus from your Nelson saison? It hit me big when I had that sample but maybe its the 3726 or the temp of the beer. (Never used NS before)

I get strong white wine flavors from mine, it's probably helped by being so dry (1.002). I have used Nelson before, but this was the first time using it by itself.

CliffMongoloid said:
morning coffee... woke up to my stirplate not spinning... looked at it a bit then gave up and needed to head to work... this gives me something to work on tonight- i wonder if my starter will be ok today just in the flask not spinning... oh well

Wow i woke up to the same issue... Kindof. Woke up to find my stir bar had been thrown from the magnet an had gone about 7 hours without spinning.

"No big deal" i say to myself so i just recenter the stir bar and turn her on right? Wrong! Like a moron i didnt take into consideration the amount of off gassing that would take place if i were to shake the starter so after just one second on the plate an eruption occurred.

Boy was i pissed. After cleanup and figuring out i lost between 300-400 ml of starter. I need about 367 billion cells. With my 2L starter i wouldve gotten 360. Now with my 1.7 L starter im not sure how many cells ill have. Anyone know how to troubleshoot or get a guesstimate? Is it the same as if i started with my 100 bil pkg and just added it to a 1.7 liter starter? Or would it be less because of it being a top feementing ale yeast and the top 300~ ml is what ended up on my floor. Good thing i have a pkg of us05 in my fridge. Was making a starter if 1056 btw.

Anyone know of a formula or way to figure this or am i just guessing at this point.

songe said:
American brown ale. After carbonating in bottle in cold condition. wow clear nad tasty beer

I prefer not to have a nad taste in my beer. But, that's just me. :D

A couple beers that I brewed a while back are really starting to come into their own. I brewed a NW pale ale kit from Brewcraft in the first week of June that I thought was too sweet, but over time has really improved. The hop flavor is much more pronounced and the maltiness seems to have subsided, which is odd because I always thought the opposite would happen. Not too many of these left since I've been drinking quite a few of them over the past 3 weeks (after hardly drinking any the first 3 months).

Same can be said for a belgian witbier kit from Midwest I made back in April. Initially, it tasted really bad, IMO. Almost sour, and didn't really have any belgian flavor. After about 5 months it's become one of my favorites. You can really taste the orange peel now and it doesn't have a hint of sourness to it.

I dunno if I'm doing something wrong or if homebrew really does improve over time but pretty much all the beers I've made (especially the two listed above) have improved after a couple of months. FWIW, these are all extract brews, and I used the late addition (roughly 5 minutes left in boil) method.

Wow i woke up to the same issue... Kindof. Woke up to find my stir bar had been thrown from the magnet an had gone about 7 hours without spinning.

"No big deal" i say to myself so i just recenter the stir bar and turn her on right? Wrong! Like a moron i didnt take into consideration the amount of off gassing that would take place if i were to shake the starter so after just one second on the plate an eruption occurred.

Boy was i pissed. After cleanup and figuring out i lost between 300-400 ml of starter. I need about 367 billion cells. With my 2L starter i wouldve gotten 360. Now with my 1.7 L starter im not sure how many cells ill have. Anyone know how to troubleshoot or get a guesstimate? Is it the same as if i started with my 100 bil pkg and just added it to a 1.7 liter starter? Or would it be less because of it being a top feementing ale yeast and the top 300~ ml is what ended up on my floor. Good thing i have a pkg of us05 in my fridge. Was making a starter if 1056 btw.

Anyone know of a formula or way to figure this or am i just guessing at this point.

Well at least yours still works- mine is prolly shot.... i did make it outta all free parts tho so i cant complain

Bwahahahaha

Baddass ale.jpg

CliffMongoloid said:
Well at least yours still works- mine is prolly shot.... i did make it outta all free parts tho so i cant complain

Minewas originally a free part set up minus the project box i used but my fan was such a p.o.s i had to buy a new one. Drinkin water at work ready to go home and check on my starter. Hope the stir bar didnt get thrown again.

Lookin forward to another Jai Alai or 4

Went to a great BBQ spot for lunch with some coworkers. There was a decent line and they had a couple kegs of Lone Star sitting there for anyone to help themselves to while they wait. I guess they do this every day.

If it wasn't for one or two of the people in the group, the rest of us would have definitely taken a couple pulls from those kegs...Would have gone great with the BBQ too...Damn. Back at work and drinking water now...

Back