Free PLC (and more) score

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SOB

Reaction score
I happened to run into one of the executives at the pisser today - which happens quite often - and this guy has always been quite intrigued by my brewing hobby. Today I told him I want to eventually automate the brewery (long way to go!) and he asked if I need a PLC. Well...sure I do! So he gave me this:

IMG_35723.jpg

Yes, it's enough I/O to automate my entire home but GDAM I'm stoked! It has relay outputs, analog inputs and he even threw in a USB\VGA screen interface (not a touchscreen, might not be able to do what I want but it's) for free. More than what I need I/O wise...With 2 weeks off this winter I think I have a new project...

I happened to run into one of the executives at the pisser today - which happens quite often - and this guy has always been quite intrigued by my brewing hobby. Today I told him I want to eventually automate the brewery (long way to go!) and he asked if I need a PLC. Well...sure I do! So he gave me this:

IMG_35723.jpg

Yes, it's enough I/O to automate my entire home but GDAM I'm stoked! It has relay outputs, analog inputs and he even threw in a USB\VGA screen interface (not a touchscreen, might not be able to do what I want but it's) for free. More than what I need I/O wise...With 2 weeks off this winter I think I have a new project...

Next time you run into him in the little boys room ask him if there is anyone who can help you write the software (only if you don't know how to already).

Looks like a pretty decent Allen Bradley SLC 500 series you got there. Just make sure the battery is good or you will kick yourself later ;-)

We are getting ready to upgrade some of our lines to newer controllers, so there will be a few 500s floating around..hehehe

Have fun with the programming!

cheers

I plugged her in today and everything seems to be in good condition. The BATT LED did not turn on which means the battery is OK. It's a little surprising to me though.

The programming is part of what I do at work so that's not a problem. There's more than enough IO so I'm thinking I might sell some of the extra cards for some cash to start upgrading the brewery.

Thanks IP. Your a fellow PLC guy too, right?

Any ideas where I should start? I was looking and I could probably make about $400 by selling the extra cards that I wouldnt need. Not sure though...I may want to save them for future use.

Where should I start? My current system consists of a 5gal and 10gal cooler and a 10gal BK. I heat with a burner and have a pump for transferring. I think I obviously need to migrate to electric but what do you all think is the best\most logical way to move forward? I dont have a lot of $$ to sink into this thing at once so a slow progression is what I'm thinking.

BTW...even though this thing has sat for at least 3 years the battery is still good!

Yea nice score Ive been eye balling a few old ones that came out of some old MCP's from an expansion project we just did at work a few months ago. The slick 500's have proven well only issues Ive encountered were with control net redundancy modules (which doesn't matter for you)...

Other than that you have a way overkill device for homebrewing HA.

Yeah, pretty sad when the redundancy cards are the main failing point of a redundant system. The ConrolLogix systems have redundancy down pretty good though.

Yeah, pretty sad when the redundancy cards are the main failing point of a redundant system. The ConrolLogix systems have redundancy down pretty good though.

Yea our last issues actually turned out to be the power supply. For some reason it would drop power for a spit second, enough to fault it.

Just out of curiosity what do yall use your plc's for?

I work at Delta so ours are for our new style Jetways and Bagrooms.

Is that a 5/05? I've got a 5/03 sitting on my desk, but haven't rounded up a rack or I/O. I've also go a scadapack with built in I/O, but no good way to bring temp into a 4-20.

It's a 5/04 so no ethernet (I believe that's what the 05 gave you...I may be wrong)

Max, if you're talking about the CLogix Redundancy issues then the latest I've seen have actually been card issues. The most recent is with the ControlNet cards. If they are at firmware 11.002 (I think that's right, kinda guessing here) then they have an anomaly where they lose communications after 72 days without a power cycle. To correct it you have to upgrade to v 11.003. Very annoying.

Max, we (I) use them for VERY different situations...anything from bulk material handling to power generation, natural gas compression systems and a lot in between. You?

I was looking and I could probably make about $400 by selling the extra cards that I wouldnt need. Not sure though...I may want to save them for future use.
I would not sell any cards, soon or later you will fill up each I/O point:D

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Yea our last issues actually turned out to be the power supply. For some reason it would drop power for a spit second, enough to fault it.

I work in the pharmacuetical industry and we have experienced the exact same issues with some of our allen Bradleys...hmmmmm

It's a 5/04 so no ethernet (I believe that's what the 05 gave you...I may be wrong)

Max, if you're talking about the CLogix Redundancy issues then the latest I've seen have actually been card issues. The most recent is with the ControlNet cards. If they are at firmware 11.002 (I think that's right, kinda guessing here) then they have an anomaly where they lose communications after 72 days without a power cycle. To correct it you have to upgrade to v 11.003. Very annoying.

Max, we (I) use them for VERY different situations...anything from bulk material handling to power generation, natural gas compression systems and a lot in between. You?

I just looked and the cards we have on the shelf are V 11.003. Maybe the ones installed from the contractors had older 11.002, we dont have the cards anymore. I know that we did swap out the cards with an 11.003 and we still had the issues until we just so happened to catch the issue in the act. We swapped out the supply and it has been good to go so far.

Oh, and we mainly use the AB's on our baggage handling systems.

Nice score! heh, well the batteries are cheap on ebay any ways. What they charge for the flash modules is like being prison raped.... Use a SLCs quite a bit in the fresh/waste water industry. I've heard of guys ripping and stripping old panels and giving them away, never been lucky enough to be around when it happens.

Did you get the software too,or are you just going to to do the ladder at work and down load into your SLC 500 there.I was looking to use my SLC500,given to me.I have taken PLC1,2,3 classes and can program fairly well,CANT BEG,BORROW OR STEAL the software.S.O.L

SOB said:
I plugged her in today and everything seems to be in good condition. The BATT LED did not turn on which means the battery is OK. It's a little surprising to me though.

The programming is part of what I do at work so that's not a problem. There's more than enough IO so I'm thinking I might sell some of the extra cards for some cash to start upgrading the brewery.

Do you have a thermalcouple card on there you don't need? If so let me know I need one.

Back