Ceramic vs Plastic Flip-Top Caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinitone

Reaction score
So, as I am about to invest in my stash of bottles, I am wondering what the pros and cons are of ceramic versus plastic flip-tops. I ask because I can get new Grolsch bottles with plastic tops for half the price of EZ cap bottles with ceramic tops. I think I would prefer to go ceramic, but are they worth the added cost? Help!

P.S. My apologies if this has been discussed already, but I couldn't find a similar thread.

My EZs came with plastic. No issues at all. I have 12 1 L, 2 cases of ,5L. I also have 1 case of older ceramic heads, and they work great too. I was looking for function over form, so I was not concerned with the plastic.

Truble... Glad to hear they're holding up. That was my biggest concern. I don't mind investing a little more in something if it's going to last longer, but if the plastic is working fine, then I'm not too worried about it.

Anyone had any bad experiences with the plastic?

i recently bought a couple cases of flip bottles, some ceramic and some plastic... I had a couple not seal right and they were ceramics but I realized that they had old rubber gaskets so ive changed them and havent had a problem since so id say that both are about equal...

I have a number of old ceramic types, and it is a good idea to change out the gaskets as soon as you get them.

A side note, do not wash the wire/cap assembly in the dishwasher unless you are sure that the detergent that you normally use is bleach free. I washed some when I first got them, and they got all pitted from the bleach. Even if you put them through without soap, there is still residual. you would need to run your DW a couple times without soap to clean it out.

Truble said:
I have a number of old ceramic types, and it is a good idea to change out the gaskets as soon as you get them.

A side note, do not wash the wire/cap assembly in the dishwasher unless you are sure that the detergent that you normally use is bleach free. I washed some when I first got them, and they got all pitted from the bleach. Even if you put them through without soap, there is still residual. you would need to run your DW a couple times without soap to clean it out.

Some of mine are pitted, but.... who cares? :)
They still hold the cap down fine.

I have hundreds of flippies, both styles. The only problem is that "sometimes", very rarely, the ceramic cap breaks.

It depends on how quickly you push the wire away from the bottle and how much pressure is under the cap.

If you close a bottle and it does it "softly" then change the seal right away.:D

Thanks for all the info. I ended up getting the Grolsch bottles. (3.5 cases with plastic flip-tops) As it turns out, they were some sort of promotional item, so they are brand new, sealed, empty bottles. The interesting thing is that the outside of the cases even indicates that they are empty bottles. As an added bonus, each one comes with a name badge holder thing and attachment rings. I'll post a pic if I can.

Thanks for the bleach tip. I believe my deteregent is bleach free, so hopefully I won't have any issues.

As promised... (BIG) photos below

IMG_1338.jpg

This is the front on shot showing the bottle wearing the "badge". It is a clear plastic name tag holder type thing, with a glossy paper insert. The insert says Grolsch...NOW...Available...unplug with a...
and the final Grolsch is screened on the plastic holder
Taste as original as our swingtop bottle

IMG_1339.jpg

Side view.

IMG_1342.jpg

Close up of neck showing intact seal. It's not obvious in these photos (you can kind of tell in the side photo), but these bottles are empty.

Back