Blew my top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butta247

Reaction score
Hey guys.....newbie here and had an explosion. I brewed an English Nut Brown Ale last night and 24 hours later I found the top to my 6.5 gallon primary on the floor, beer all over my light fixtures and fridge. I saw my air lock going crazy earlier but thought it was normal as this is my first brew. I sanitized the top and air lock and put them back into place. I heard the top pop off and ran in to check it so the beer was uncovered for about 5 minutes. What are the chances of infection and should I do anything to keep the top from exploding off again?

it will be ok.. the CO2 will push out anything that tries to touch your wort.
how much wort did you put in there?
I would recommend you switch to a blow off tube. Search blow off if you need help.

did you take any pictures by chance?

here's a simple blow off for a bucket using just the siphon tube and a bottle with some Star San in it -- it blows nice bubbles...

blowoff.jpg

Thanks.....I made up a blow off and things seem to be a little less vilatile! My total volume in the primary was 5 gallons. I should have taken pictures. My wife started cleaning it up after I got the top back on. Thanks for your help.

Congrats! I think the exploding fermenter is an initiation when it comes to brewing. Now get the biggest blow off tube setup going, and you won't have an explosion again. Sounds like you haven't done anything to start an infection. Especially once your beer has started fermenting (and if it's blown the top, that means there's a lot of fermentation there), there's little chance of infection. Man has been brewing beer for centuries....and has known about bacteria for just over one of those. Personally, I focus on really staying sanitary on brew day....but once krauesen starts, I ease up and don't worry about infection....by that point it would take a lot to get an infection.

I just brewed up my first 5. gal batch today and hoping I dont wake up to an explosion. hahah.

Wow, what went into that brew??? I primary in my South Dakota basement, so maybe I've avoided the explosion due to lower temps. So do you guys always use blow-off tubes in warmer climates?

Now all you have to do is try not to worry about making little bottle bombs. I didn't get a full on blow out, but I walked into the room where I keep the primary to see the lid on the floor next to it and the airlock about 3ft away. First thing I did was look up at the ceiling.

*whew!*

I keep seeing these threads every once in a while. I don't understand how you blow the top off your bucket if you have an airlock or blow off installed. Whats the deal?

I keep seeing these threads every once in a while. I don't understand how you blow the top off your bucket if you have an airlock or blow off installed. Whats the deal?

High temps tend to lead to vigorous (if not violent) fermentation, thus causing blow-outs that an airlock or blow off tube can't keep up with. The results can be catastrophic to your brew room. Although I'm sure if you have a good sense of humor you may appreciate that glob of wort dangling precariously off the light fixture.

I'm glad this hasn't happened to me - my fermenter lives in a wardrobe where the steadiest temperature is... and also some clothes...

After reading some of these threads, I always use a blow off tube for the first 3-5 days of fermentation and have had a couple batches where there has been a good deal of stuff in the bucket where the tube terminates so I see how significant pressure could build in the fermenter. What I don't understand is why the lid blows. The lid on my plastic bucket seems to be tightly secured to the bucket. I usually have a hard time prying it off. It would seem that the stopper with the airlock would blow out well before the lid. Can someone with more experience comment?

The only way to get any pressure build up that I can see is if the airlock or blow off tube is clogged.

The lid on my primary is bulging as we speak. I keep a pretty close eye on it and occasionally press down on it lightly to expel some of the pressure through the airlock. I bet if the fermenter were to get any warmer and I was on travel or something where I couldn't keep an eye on it, I would have a blow out. I make sure to check the airlock for clogs every other day or when I take a sample for a gravity check. I'm using an ale pale instead of a carboy, but not sure if that makes a difference.

Actually, if the pressure is higher than the pathway that reduces pressure can handle (in other words, if your blow-off tube is too small), then you will have an explosion.

Nottingham dry yeast does this to me every time. It's simply not a problem. As the others above have assured you, the excess CO2 is keeping the nasties at bay, because nothing can approach your fermenting beer when the CO2 is being pumped into the headspace.

RDWHAHB.

I used Notty for the first time on my London Porter batch this weekend. 5.25 gals in a 6 gal carboy and the krausen just tickled the stopper before dropping.

I went out to a ballgame last night and kept imagining the blowoff I'd have when I got home.

-1 for no pics.
-100 for no pics of your wife cleaning up the mess.

HAs anyone ever used a large new trash can to put your fermeter in? or even a big trash bag? I'm thinking of using a larg trash can and you sould be able to still have a blow off in there next to it. then it's corered maybe put a hole or two in the lid to keep the trash can lid from blowing. thoughts?

Thanks.....I made up a blow off and things seem to be a little less vilatile! My total volume in the primary was 5 gallons. I should have taken pictures. My wife started cleaning it up after I got the top back on. Thanks for your help.

Seriously? I would be castrated and hung by my toenails if this happened to me. I watch my primary like a hawk! I've even considered covering it with a trash bag (on a tray) with some dry ice in between. Nice catch you have. Better hold on to her.

Actually, if the pressure is higher than the pathway that reduces pressure can handle (in other words, if your blow-off tube is too small), then you will have an explosion.

RDWHAHB.

The CO2 will just travel at a higher velocity. If you hooked an air compressor up to your bucket it would have the same effect.

I didn't have the lid blow off, but I have had it bubble out through the airlock before. Always messy and the last one my wife had to clear the airlock and re-sanatize it.

Back