using a temp controller in a pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBC98C

Reaction score
Well, I've been wanting to do some all grain, but I'm at school so I dont really have space for a cooler. What if I took a large grain steeping bag in a large pot. I have a small portable electric stove. If I ran the stove through my temp controller I could keep it at a constant temp of 160+-2 degrees. I know I am probably skipping some crucial steps and would like to know what you all think about this.

Thanks

Never heard of anyone trying it, but I suppose it's possible. Just a note, though, 160 is probably a little high to mash at. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

rather than trying to regulate the electric stove element, I think it would be much easier to just hit the proper temp and wrap the pot w/ blankets ect to stop heat loss.

or perhaps even easier...get the mash "pot" at the proper temp and put it in a warm oven around 150. This will help to keep the temp of the mash stable.

rather than trying to regulate the electric stove element, I think it would be much easier to just hit the proper temp and wrap the pot w/ blankets ect to stop heat loss.

Just for sake of argumenting, it would be pretty easy to use the element. It is a single portable element that plugs into the wall normally.

Either way, Deathbrewers brew is almost exactly what I was thinking. Thanks guys. And if anyone has any other ideas, I'm still listening.

Back