What are the better brewing Podcasts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowstick

Reaction score
The title says it all. I hate The Brewing Network. That one is just not for me. What do you peeps think?

I am still a noob, so The Basicbrewing.com videos work well for me for very basic info because they aren't that smart (Like me)

If I really want to know my crap, then I'll listen to the Brewing Network shows, but I REALLY have to listen extra hard and keep pausing and backtracking to make sure the info sinks in.

In short, they all have info, it just depends on your desire for knowledge and the quality of your attention span IMO :)

I'm not a big fan of TBN either, I think maybe because I am older don't like all the cross-talk and drunken off topic stuff gets on my nerves, or all the music breaks like it is radio or something...The two I listen to are.

Basic Brewing : Home Brewing Beer Podcast and DVD - Welcome
Very slickly done, a professional sound and short to the point shows on various topics.

And CraftBrewer Radio

This was actually the first brewing podcast ever, it actually started 10 years ago as a radio show on Australian radio, a little more chatty, BUT the host and co-host have a combined 60 years of brewing knowledge, and some of the things they discuss, and they do are amazing...John Palmer used to write to them and ask questions, before anyone knew who he was...

I've found Basic Brewing Radio to the best, though lately it seems as though there's less emphasis on practical stuff and a little more on peripheral (audio recording of a brew session, nice, but not very helpful). Since BBR is a few years old I started at the beginning and listened every day. Lotta good stuff there. I got a kick out of an older show that had a comment from 'Revvy' from HBT.

I love the book Brewing Classic Styles -- it really is amazing -- but the Jamil Show is about 90 percent froth and ten percent useful gems. To get to that ten percent you have to wade through a lot of stuff. I finally realized that I should just skip to after the first break, about twelve minutes in, because nothing important ever happened in the first section.

Ya, the Jamil show isn't really that great, but it would be pretty tough to talk about one beer style for an hour.

I do really like Brew Strong, though. Definitely pick and choose which episodes to listen to, but there is a TON of info in them and they always have cool/relevant guests on. For example in the "Sanitation" episode they had a guy from star-san

I like the Sunday session because it is the most entertaining and shows are usually three hours long so I can spend a few days listiening to it in my car on my way to work. They do get off topic A LOT and there is A LOT of potty humor.

Brew Bubbas is a good podcast.

I also listen to James Spencer but sometimes he can get pretty dull.

I love James Spencer's stuff. He has a corny sense of humor and I like his humble attitude. I used to listen to Jamil and I think there is some good information there, but I stopped liking his shows for several reasons, some of which have already been mentioned on here.

LGI, listen to the Jamil show on Ordinary Bitter (I think that's the one). You'll get a kick out of how he pronounces "draught" right after bragging about going to the UK and sampling the beers.

Ya, the Jamil show isn't really that great, but it would be pretty tough to talk about one beer style for an hour.

I'll agree that the later Jamil shows went a little downhill, but the earlier episodes were chock full of brewing tips and hints alongside great discussion of the topic style and how to brew it. That show pretty much taught me what was important in brewing.

If you listen to basicbrewing.com you can continue to marvel at the depth of knowledge that our own Kaiser brings to the table.

Kai was a recent guest and has been on 3 or 4 shows.

If you listen to basicbrewing.com you can continue to marvel at the depth of knowledge that our own Kaiser brings to the table.

Kai was a recent guest and has been on 3 or 4 shows.

Without question! I've already made some plans for integrating some of the German techniques from the most recent episode into my brewery.

Revy I agree with you about TBN if I wanted to listen to a morning talk show I would turn on the radio and get all that wacky radio stuff. I listened to Basic Brewing today and I liked it so far. Off topic I was a Michigander for the earlier part of my life it still holds a special place in me some where. My mom still lives there. Back on topic Ill try out the others and see what their like. Thanx

Jeez I'm lame. I like all the shows. I could listen to them all the time (if the wife would let me...) I don't mind the TBN OT stuff. Just guys having fun. But, for real info, I think Basic Brewing is better. More useful info more often.

Need to try that craft brew radio thing. Actually, need to listen in more to all of them!

Need to find more people who have video podcasts of their brewing.

The early Sunday Sessions on the Brewing Network were very good (before they decided to make their shows a platform for juvenile "humor", if you can call it that), and Brew Strong has been excellent of late (the Hot Side Aeration show had one of the best interviews about beer, ever).

Basic Brewing audio/video is also good, but the shows have been hit and miss lately, as if they are running out of relevant topics.

Back