How's This Sound?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
My first batch of beer into my keg will be made in about 10 days. I want something that I can enjoy without too much aging. Been goofin with amber malt quite a bit so I'm thinking of just going with what I know. (man I can't wait for an all grain set up... only about $250 away (that's with the pump, might just hand recirculate till I can afford one, hehehe :D )

7lbs amber malt extract

2oz mt hood hops @4.1%
1oz colombus hops @17%

WYeast 1098 BRIT ALE

1.5 oz mt hood hops and 7lbs extract for 60min .25 oz dropped in at 2 min and a 30 seconds

.25 oz colombus hops added at 8 min 5 min 3 min and 1 min

Any Ideas? Any advice on hop schedules like this? Anyone else tried dropping finishing hops in at intervals like this? Is this a good idea? Happy brewing!!:mug:

I'd say you have your bittering and aroma hops swapped. Mt. Hood won't contribute much bittering and as much as I like Columbus for bittering (I buy the pellets by the pound), I have trouble imaging it as an aroma hop. I think it will give you a harsh finish and take a long time to mellow.

Timed additions of aroma hops will give you a different set of aromas.

I plugged this recepie into http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/recipe.html set the style to 06b. american pale ales - american amber ale, my batch size to 5.25 gal, my boil size to 3 gal. Filled in all the appropriate fields and got:

OG: 1.048
FG: 1.012
IBU: 37
SRM 8
ABV 4.6

with just the mt hood hops 1.5oz It says I will still get 28 IBU of bittering. Not really going for a bitter beer, just kinda curious what colombus will taste like as a finishing hop. :D What about the complicated hop schedule tho, will it do any good to give more a hoppy armoa/flavor?

OK, the more hops additions you do, the wider range of flavors you will get. Each of the hops oils dissolves and evaporates at a different rate. It's tough to predict, but we learn by brewing.

Last year, I learned that wet hops do not work well in a randall. I was surprised, but very little hop flavor.

Back