Should I Rack a Barley Wine to 2ndary if fermentation restarted after two weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddwill

Reaction score
Hello,

I brewed and racked to primary a Barley Wine 3 weeks ago. Active fermentation bubbles in the airlock lasted from hours 12 to three days. No activity from that point on till two days ago when the temp in the room spiked to 75*F (think this reactivated the yeast). It is now constantly bubbling with 1-2 bubbles every 15 seconds.

My plan was to rack to the secondary in two days, but now that it is fermenting at a high rate I dont know.

I used a high alc. English Ale (up to 11% alc.)
I was also considering pitching champayne yeast with the secondary racking
The primary is plastic, and as I mentioned in for three weeks (worried about off flavors from trub).

Any thoughts?

Don't worry about your brew sitting on the trub. The yeast may not be showing any sign of fermentation but rest assured, they are still working their magic. A barley wine is a very long process m8. Don't rush it. From what I have read you can leave your brew on the trub for up to 5-6 weeks without any "off flavors" developing.
I do recommend getting your temp under control. Set your fermenter in a tub with cool water. Add a few frozen bottles of water to help maintain. Keep a few (bottles of water) in the freezer so you can rotate then as needed.

What is the current gravity on the beer? What gravity are you aiming for?

Letting it sit on the trub is fine. People will let theirs sit for months will no ill effect. You will be fine to let it sit longer, but let it finish fermenting. This new activity is most likely from the temperature spike, but hopefully you won't experience too many off flavors from it as it isn't really the initial stages of fermentation.

started at 1.095, have not remeasured, but am aiming for around 1.015 as the final

Back