What do you do for your second job?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. I feel so insignificant. Let's see... I am the technical manager for an ISP... that means I answer phones all day helping people when they can't get their email. And yes we do talk bad about you when we are done... we even do it while you're on the phone too if we have a mute button :D It also means I program all the voip adapters that go out as well as the wireless antennas that go out. I also from time to time configure cisco routers and go on service calls to customers. Mostly just phone calls though :(

I work for the largest fire department in the country: The US Forest Service. 11 years now & all I got to show for it is a busted knee, busted ankle, busted shoulder, busted back..etc...

naw, it's a good job, It's just a young persons job & i'm not so young anymore. Being married, it's not the greatest job either. I'm away from home at least 4 months a year & have been gone up to 8 months in a year! At least I have the ultra-flexible schedule during the winter. Pay is decent, benefits are great, but you get to put up with the gov't BS on a daily basis.

In 11 years, the only states I haven't visited have been Maine, VT, NH, RI & Hawaii for fire duty. It's a good way to see the country, as long as you don't mind seeing black country.

Surfbrewer: Ever work with LP hotshots? Their cap't is the reason I got into brewing. He talked me right into it.

I'm a graduate student in Cellular and Molecular biology, so I'll leave the magnets to all you crazy chemists!! I do a lot of live embryo imaging, so I get to play with a lot of expensive microscopes!

I get paid to cook. :rockin:

Which I could not believe they would pay a person to do... then I realized to get things done right you have to run the kitchen, train the staff, make groceries arrive, and answer 9 million questions while in an environment that sometimes makes a demolition site look calm and peaceful.

But still... I do get paid to cook. :rockin:

And my wife and I have a habit of buying houses and turning "potential" into reality.

Hey zac... thanks for bailing us out in sw Colorado in 2002. I learned to love you hotshots and all the rest. I moved away, but I still remember that you guys saved the day.

ALMOST a Journeyman Carpenter. I'm actually taking my second to last class required to journey out this week. I'm in the end of my 4th year of my apprenticeship right now.

2u9241u.jpg

Wow, a lot of students for a hobby I always hear is dominated by old bearded guys. :)

As for me, I manage the Benefits Configuration team for a midsized Medicaid/Medicare HMO. In other words, I configure the system to apply copays, coinsurance, deductibles, service limits, and authorization requirements.

Soperbrew said:
Stay at home dad.
Damn I'm jealous. If SWMBO could land a job as good as / better than mine with the same pay and benefits I would be a stay at home dad in a heartbeat. Screw the stereotypes, let 'em call me a *****.
I think it'd be great. Put the kid down for a nap, go crush grain, etc...:cross:

CGengo said:
Wow, a lot of students for a hobby I always hear is dominated by old bearded guys. :)

As for me, I manage the Benefits Configuration team for a midsized Medicaid/Medicare HMO. In other words, I configure the system to apply copays, coinsurance, deductibles, service limits, and authorization requirements.

I was going to comment that we have a disproportionate number of people in healthcare professions here.

CGengo said:

My copay just went from $10 to $20 this year, F**K U! No, I'm just kidding. It's the authorization requirement's I'm worried about.

Me, I'm a Master Certified RV Technician. I also dabble in sales, marketing, & website design, programming and seo.

Judd said:
I was going to comment that we have a disproportionate number of people in healthcare professions here.

Its because the (broken) US Healthcare system is driving us to drink. :drunk:

ER doc in Seattle

GT

I'm a planner for the County. I process discretionary land use applications like condititional use permits, rezones, and subdivisions. Previously spent 5 years in the IT industry, and still do support for wife's business (custom wedding invitation design).

Man, I'm one busy guy. Here is what I do. First and foremost I'm an undergraduate Journalism student carrying a full load of credits at Western Michigan University :)rockin: Go Broncos :rockin: ). That in itself takes up a lot of time, but I'm paying for the whole school thing, plus supporting SWMBO, by driving forklift in a refridgerated warehouse. The job is 6 p.m. - 6 a.m. three nights a week and from midnight to 6 a.m. one night. Throw on top of that SWMBO, and a bunch of dogs, I wonder when I have time for my "first job" at all. Come to think of it what am I still doing up?

IT Engineer... I write code for Delta Airlines Technical Operations; Its really exciting...

I work for an Environmental Testing Facility. We deal with mostly military applications, however we do see some commercial equipment as well. If you like the show Future Weapons, you'd probably like my job. I work in the Dynamics lab where we simulate vibration.

If you guys/gals watched the Superbowl, the commercial with the Ford F150 spinning in a centrifuge was performed by my company as well. Typically satellites and aerospace equipment are tested on it, however we can always make an exception for Mike from Dirty Jobs and the Ford guiys...

Well apparently I am the only homebrewer in marketing.

I recently graduated from Western Michigan University (like the guy a few above (GO BRONCOS)). Right now I am working in Marketing for Battle Creek Radio. It is fun because I get to write commercials and do voice overs and fun stuff like that. However, in two days I have an interview with Whirlpool for a marketing position so wish me luck. (it pays allllllloooooooottttttt more)

If any of y'all want some ideas on how to market your brewery shoot me an email ([email protected]) and I might be able to send you some ideas.:ban:

by day i work for a mechanical contractors outfit as a designer/estimator/IT by night i do freelance IT work and web design, and just about any odd job that pays well

By day ( and sometimes at night), I keep a ragged old cable TV system running. I moonlight as "ground support" for a horse ranch. That covers digging ditches, building barns, mowing pastures, and busting horseturds. It's cool, because I get to sleep with the owner( Mrs. Monkey) on a weekly basis.

I'm also apprenticing as a blacksmith. We're making knives right now.

raceskier said:
Dang, there are a lot of IT people out there!

Me , I'm another mechanical engineer, designing satellites. I've also done weapons design and moonlighted working on race cars.

It's cause SUE makes us want to drink.

I actually gave the statement at my current job that before I worked there I drank for no reason. Current job: sys admin/desktop/voip admin/ pee on/ whatever else they think of before I go crazy and they find me naked in the corner eating mayonaise.

First brew started last Sunday... cream ale kit. Wish me luck. :)

Back