Experimenting with this and that

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydlaw

Reaction score
I created a batch using only 2 row pale ale, citra and saaz hops, and repitched saison yeast (saisonsteins monster from omega labs). after fermenting the flavor tasted like a watered down grapefruit. I decided to add juice concentrate. 2 cans of some kind mixed berry (I threw the cans away). I figure that i was experimenting anyway, so what the hell. As long as it isn't gross, which is hard with Saison yeast, i'd drink it. who knows i might stumble onto something. this is all done in the primary so the yeast has reactivated. If anyone is interested, i'll update when complete to let you know how things went.

You should definitely get in the habit of writing down everything you put into / do to a Homebrew (in my humble opinion ) what if you make something amazing ? And then can't recreate it [emoji85]?

your right, and i have for the most part. a trip back to the grocery store and I can put it all together.

I love experimenting, i recently picked up ten 1 gallon jugs with the intent of splitting my batches to experiment more ... Funny thing is now I have them all full and I want to brew more. Lol

I love experimenting, i recently picked up ten 1 gallon jugs with the intent of splitting my batches to experiment more ... Funny thing is now I have them all full and I want to brew more. Lol

Good idea. I'll do something similar when I get more established. Right now I'm trying to go with the keg setup. Almost there.

Interested to see what happens, but adding juice to an already thin beer generally makes it thinner.

I tried a sample today, it tastes a little on the sour side. It's not any thinner. Maybe cause it was frozen concentrate as opposed to juice. I'll keg or bottle it up and drink it but i wouldn't attempt it again. 2 row needs another grain for better flavor. I mainly wanted to witness the characteristics of 2 row by itself. I'll keep it as one of the options until it's gone. Drinkable but nothing to write home about. It was an experiment, and I learned something.

i didn't like the flavor or body, and i just happen to have some beer bottled that didn't carbonate. the non carbonation was im guessing due to not pitching enough yeast since its been over a month, and is hasn't carbonated. I checked it out several times, and threw most out, leaving some to either use for flavoring for food, or to experiment with. the og for the batch that didn't carb was like 1.070, and i used only 1 pack of dry yeast (over stressed yeast). I figure that i would throw it in the carboy. i siphoned out some of the beer from the carboy and added the non-carbonated beer that i had bottled. i figure f-it. Have a little fun with my mishaps, as long as i learn something its all good. I don't expect anything good to happen but i will keep you posted. who knows it might be drinkable. or it could get an infection or taste like crap (which is where it was in the beginning anyway).

I got complements from it, and I like it. 2 wrongs make it right is a better name for it though.

Lol yeah my boss used to call me and two marines I worked with in a small armory the "garbage pail kids" haha because we looked rough (no shaves, no hair cuts, dirty clothes) we worked 18 hour days 6 days a week so we just generally had a f-everything attitude.. Good ol garbage pail kids.. Loved that crew

Latest posts

Back