Siciliano's Market Upcoming Events

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
For those on the West, South, and Central portion of the state of Michigan, Siciliano's Market has some upcoming events you will want to check out.

The annual Homebrew Party and associated Homebrew Competition are near. Registration for the competition opens on March 17th, and the Homebrew party is in May. Registration for that is coming up as well.

Details can be found in their blog posts at www.sicilianosmkt.com.

The competition is web-only again this year using the same Beers to Fear system they used last time.

Here is for zero notice.... but if you live in the Detroit - Metro area and can get your entries to Cap 'N Cork by this Thursday 3/20 NO LATER than 4pm... I will pick them up and drop them off at Siciliano's this weekend when I go. Make sure to include your cash or check... Otherwise I might just drink your entry instead ;-)

Always a great event! The judges are great and the party is always held at a nice place (I mean it is beercity USA!!).

I am kind of bummed they already announced that the winner is from the west side of the state. Granted i thought it would be a slim chance to win it all but how about building up some anticipation for everyone involved. Oh well guess i will have to drown my sorrows at Founders, Brewery Vivant and Perrin Brewing Co.

I am kind of bummed they already announced that the winner is from the west side of the state. Granted i thought it would be a slim chance to win it all but how about building up some anticipation for everyone involved. Oh well guess i will have to drown my sorrows at Founders, Brewery Vivant and Perrin Brewing Co.

I think the intent was the prevent people from making a possibly unnecessary trip across the state.

I think the intent was the prevent people from making a possibly unnecessary trip across the state.

That would have been fine if they did that before they sold tickets to the home brew party. Like i said, I will be fine when it is all said and done because I will be bringing home some great beer from the west side of the state. Plus it will be nice to meet some home brewers from out of state.

Yeah, I agree it's kind of strange. I mean, I'm excited, because I'm still in the running, but part of the fun of it is going to the party and waiting for the announcement. Well, it's fun for those who entered. Trust me, the competition is not the only reason for going!

They probably increased excitement and anticipation for people in West Michigan, while decreasing excitement and anticipation for everyone else.

The food is usually very good, and the band is cool, although it's always too loud IMO. They have a cool sound, but you can hardly talk about brewing or anything when they kick in. Last year it was kind of rainy and people were unwilling to walk a small distance to talk. If you were standing under the protection of the cabin, it was pretty difficult to converse. There is lots to talk about when you are sampling some great homebrew.

It's not bad when you factor in the Schwag, food, music, and no "drink tickets". Bascially a beer festival where it's all about hoembrew. Clubs bring their big coolers or kegerators, and anyone and everyone is probably brining something in a cooler to share.

Oops, I meant "bringing". Although there is a chance someone might bring some jerky to share with their homebrew...

It's not bad when you factor in the Schwag, food, music, and no "drink tickets". Bascially a beer festival where it's all about hoembrew. Clubs bring their big coolers or kegerators, and anyone and everyone is probably brining something in a cooler to share.

Oops, I meant "bringing". Although there is a chance someone might bring some jerky to share with their homebrew...

Sounds like you need to make it over here for the Michigan Homebrew Festival in August. I think last year 20 clubs set up booths. It's a multi day camping even with the majority of the action happening Friday and Sat nights. Sat is the awards ceremony for the Michigan Beer Cup as well as games between the clubs and voting for 'best club site' etc...

Sounds like the one out there is similar at least for those that only do a 1 day pass for Sat at the MHF. I'll try and make it out there next year.. I always enter the comp but May's are always hard for me to make it... and I think usually they have it on Big Brew Day right? Though this year it is later obviously.

Usually they also have Homebrewing Seminars the evening before the party, but this year with the NHC being in GR they decided to simply sponsor someone at NHC instead. .

Today is the day and I am nervous as s%$# and excited at the same time! This is the first time i will have a beer that has been judged and by bjcp guidelines. Maybe I will see you there Homercidal and hopefully walk away with at least a bronze...fingers are crossed

Just tried checking my scores on the Beers to Fear site. But it doesn't recognize the Sicilianos Market comp any more. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just tried checking my scores on the Beers to Fear site. But it doesn't recognize the Sicilianos Market comp any more. Any suggestions?

This comp is old school. They don't deliver scores or scoresheets electronically. In past years I never even got my score back... This year it states this:

Score sheets and medals will be available for pick up at the Homebrew Party on May 17. Those not attending the party may pick up their score sheets and medals at the store beginning on May 18. Those residing outside the Grand Rapids area may request to have their results and medals mailed by contacting me at this address: [email protected].

http://sicilianosmkt.blogspot.com/2014/04/2014-homebrew-competitionjudging-is.html

Yeah. Was just hoping that I could see my scores online. But looks like they're already set up for another comp. Wish they'd use the standard BJCP software. Oh well.
...and now I wait...

There isn't standard BJCP software. You're likely thinking of BCOE&M (http://www.brewcompetition.com/) which is "free" software released under GNU. Many competitions that use that software don't display your scores still after the competition. It really just depends on the organizers. Beers to fear def CAN display your scores... Just the organizers of this competition chose not to.

I came back with a gold medal. Scored out at 46.5 the grand prize winner was at 46, not bad for a first go i guess.

Nice! I did worse than I thought. That's the way it goes sometimes. The worst thing is that some of the comments described as flaws were actually part of the style guidelines. It almost seemed as though the judge was working from memory, and not doing a good job of it.

But it had some minor flaws, so I can't claim it would have score great. I just wish some of the comments weren't for exactly what the style guidelines called for.

We actually left early. I only knew about 3-4 people total there, and weren't close to anyone. Probably knew the guys from the store more than almost anyone else. Had a few beers and ate some food.

They had a cool game where you have to try and pound a nail into a block of wood with the peen side of a 4-pound hammer. You have to touch the side of the nail with the side of the hammer, with the point of the hammer on the block. Then you get ONE swing to hit the nail. Then the hammer passes to the person on the left.

The first person to pound the head in flush with the block of wood wins. Considering how difficult it is to hit the head square with a peen face, imagine how this is going to go after a few beers!

Wow. Nice work. I got a bronze, scored 34. This was my first competition. Definitely going to try to make the party next year.

What style did you enter?? What style won? Do you remember who won?

I entered a saison into belgian specialty ale because the numbers were off on guideline for just entering into saison. The winner was a ESB ,they had a corny there of the winning beer and i got a sample...It was a decent beer

I entered a saison into belgian specialty ale because the numbers were off on guideline for just entering into saison. The winner was a ESB ,they had a corny there of the winning beer and i got a sample...It was a decent beer

I had that ESB too I think. Not bad. I'm not up on English beers, so I have no idea if it was world class.

I did a Belgian Pale Ale. I really liked the beer, although I admit it wasn't perfect. It was a 3 gallon starter for a BGSA and I'd like to brew it again with better clarity and carb level.

You did not have to be there to get scores. If you didn't show up your scoresheets will be mailed to you.

I think last year, or the year before, I got a list of the different entry numbers and their scores. You might call and inquire about it.

Yeah you have to email them to get your scoresheets mailed out... I've already got that done for me. Just was wondering where you guys got all your scores from ;-) Guess it was all from the party. I'm not really that interested in what my score was though. I enter for medals. I'm a medal whore. lol

Yeah you have to email them to get your scoresheets mailed out... I've already got that done for me. Just was wondering where you guys got all your scores from ;-) Guess it was all from the party. I'm not really that interested in what my score was though. I enter for medals. I'm a medal whore. lol

I almost never enter comps anymore. I should enter more often, as they can provide good feedback, but I don't brew often enough to get consistent and you have to enter each beer into several to get any good feedback.

I scored a few medals a few years ago and made BOS at Siciliano's. It's nice. My favorite was when a couple of comps gave out schwag to the people who medal'ed. A ribbon is nice, but I prefer something practical I can use, like HB supplies, or bottle opener or something.

I almost never enter comps anymore. I should enter more often, as they can provide good feedback, but I don't brew often enough to get consistent and you have to enter each beer into several to get any good feedback.

I scored a few medals a few years ago and made BOS at Siciliano's. It's nice. My favorite was when a couple of comps gave out schwag to the people who medal'ed. A ribbon is nice, but I prefer something practical I can use, like HB supplies, or bottle opener or something.

For sure. Sadly not that many give out stuff for the medal winners. I know Wizards of Saaz in OH has given out $10 or $20 gift certificates to the first place winners the last couple of years. Michigan Beer Cup gives out swag for all the medal winners. Otherwise I can't really think of any that are somewhat local that do it.

I couldn't make the party so I went over to the store on Sunday. It's close by for me so I went over there for a few supplies.

I had actually planned on swinging by the store as well. I had a few small things on my list. But I was so excited about getting back home and making good use of the day to get soem things done, I forgot!

Back