Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brother is the winemaker at Newton Vineyard, also for Chandon's still wine division, both owned by LVMH (Louis Vuitton-Moet-Hennessy), and located in Napa Valley. They use Imported French oak barrels at roughly $1000-$1500 a pop, and some American oak at about $800-$1000. I wonder if he knows his wine is cheap. I'll have to let him know. (He makes some awesome homebrew too! Way better than mine. The boy knows how to ferment!)

Come to think of it, I bet those wineries put all their barrels in underground wine caves because they can't afford big above-ground stainless steel or fiberglass tanks.

Keith66 said:
My brother is the winemaker at Newton Vineyard, also for Chandon's still wine division, both owned by LVMH (Louis Vuitton-Moet-Hennessy), and located in Napa Valley. They use Imported French oak barrels at roughly $1000-$1500 a pop, and some American oak at about $800-$1000. I wonder if he knows his wine is cheap. I'll have to let him know. (He makes some awesome homebrew too! Way better than mine. The boy knows how to ferment!)

Come to think of it, I bet those wineries put all their barrels in underground wine caves because they can't afford big above-ground stainless steel or fiberglass tanks.

Every one knows the best wine is aged in metal oil drums

Not sure I follow your arguement. Do you have an example or two, please?

Translation: If the only reason for using oak is to mask bad flavors, as the guy he was quoting earlier claimed, why would breweries and wineries advertise that their products are aged in oak?

I speak Jive, too. ;)

Every one knows the best wine is aged in metal oil drums

Nah, the best wines have neutral grain spirits added, for that extra kick.

maddog.jpg

nightTrainNThunderbird.gif

I mentioned to someone today that I make my own beer and was asked "So you got a bucket of homemade Budweiser at your place?" Then while trying to explain (as simply as possible) how it is done... "Yeast?! Beer has bread in it? Is all beer made of bread?" I had the sneaking suspicion that trying to explain the science of yeast and its role in both leavened bread and alcohol production would be in vain. I just went with it, now there's someone out there who thinks bread is a major ingredient in beer. I'm sorry.

My retired ex-boss is back on the premises, as a contract project manager. And he's set up shop in the control room...

When he found out this morning that I've been homebrewing, he started telling me how much he likes craft beers, and saying he'd like to try some of mine. Being a skeptical sort, I was kind of noncommittal. So he came back to the subject this afternoon, again telling me how much he's learned to appreciate craft beers, and doesn't even drink BMC anymore.

I asked him what he's been drinking lately, and he told me every time he goes to Laughlin or Lake Havasu City, he drops into Barley Brothers. He went into rhapsodies over their Tripppleberry Wheat beer (yep, that's how it's spelled; I looked it up). Apparently it has blueberries, raspberries and cranberries in it. He said, "it comes in 32 oz servings. And man, I can go through two of them like I'm drinking soda pop."

OK, I was starting to get a handle on what his tastes are. And after I asked him what he thought of Newcastle Brown Ale and he said, "well, that's a little heavy and strong-tasting for me," I knew all I needed to know. :drunk:

He hit me up again later about wanting to try some of my homebrew. But the only thing I have ready right now is a saison that I used too many hops in... I don't mind it, but if I gave him one I seriously doubt he'd even finish it. And I bet I wouldn't get my bottle back, either. :)

I mentioned to someone today that I make my own beer and was asked "So you got a bucket of homemade Budweiser at your place?" Then while trying to explain (as simply as possible) how it is done... "Yeast?! Beer has bread in it? Is all beer made of bread?" I had the sneaking suspicion that trying to explain the science of yeast and its role in both leavened bread and alcohol production would be in vain. I just went with it, now there's someone out there who thinks bread is a major ingredient in beer. I'm sorry.

I thought all bread had beer in it... you learn something every day.

Awesome addition to this thread. I laughed, showed SWMBO and she laughed too.

Not sure I follow your arguement. Do you have an example or two, please?

Translation: If the only reason for using oak is to mask bad flavors, as the guy he was quoting earlier claimed, why would breweries and wineries advertise that their products are aged in oak?

I speak Jive, too. ;)

That's it. :mug:

I am a bartender here in Atlantic City and the other night I had a kid come up to the bar and order a Heineken. We serve only the aluminum bottles and they all like to overflow when they are opened. I gave him the beer and it overflowed a little onto the cocktail napkin. He gave me a look like I shook it up in front of him then opened it. So I explained to the young lad that all of our aluminum's do this and he is only losing a little head. This is where it got GREAT!!! This KID told me he used to be a bartender and that bottled beer doesn't have head. I just laughed and said "Well... That will be YOUR little secret." I guess we all know why he "USED" to be a bartender.

scottballz said:
I am a bartender here in Atlantic City and the other night I had a kid come up to the bar and order a Heineken. We serve only the aluminum bottles and they all like to overflow when they are opened. I gave him the beer and it overflowed a little onto the cocktail napkin. He gave me a look like I shook it up in front of him then opened it. So I explained to the young lad that all of our aluminum's do this and he is only losing a little head. This is where it got GREAT!!! This KID told me he used to be a bartender and that bottled beer doesn't have head. I just laughed and said "Well... That will be YOUR little secret." I guess we all know why he "USED" to be a bartender.

Hmmm ive read this post before somewhere...:D glad you came to check it out Scott.

Cheers :mug:

nasty_rabbit said:
And then there's "OLDE FROTHINGSLOSH". The original pale stale with the foam on the bottom.

There was a 20 yo can in the mechanics room in our fraternity house to be opened if we ever won CMU's buggy races. Thankfully for the head mechanic, we're not athletic.

brewguyver said:
There was a 20 yo can in the mechanics room in our fraternity house to be opened if we ever won CMU's buggy races. Thankfully for the head mechanic, we're not athletic.
I always got a kick out of the Miss Frothingslosh pageants. A "studa bubba" with a pabushca. (Probably spelled both wrong but being from Pittsburgh I'm guessing you know what I mean. )

If your referring to the the thing ladies used to tie over there head,it's babushca. Babca is a term of endearment for one's grandmother.

I'm Italian but the Polish and Slovak kids in the neighborhood always called their grandparents studa gooba (grandfather) and studa bubba (grandmother) probably still both spelled wrong.

Mom was Slovak & that's what I learned as a kid. Honestly,that's about all I remember. Save for many cousins in Bratislava that wished I could read/write Slovak. Nobody to learn from & no books...?

I really miss living in that part of the country (south western PA). It was a true “melting pot” of nationalities. Italian, Croatian, Slovenian, German, Jewish, Polish, Serbian, Greek, Lebanese, and I’m sure that I am leaving a few out but you could tell what neighborhood you were in by the aromas coming from the kitchens. And everyone got along and helped each other out GO FIGURE.

I really miss living in that part of the country (south western PA). It was a true “melting pot” of nationalities. Italian, Croatian, Slovenian, German, Jewish, Polish, Serbian, Greek, Lebanese, and I’m sure that I am leaving a few out but you could tell what neighborhood you were in by the aromas coming from the kitchens. And everyone got along and helped each other out GO FIGURE.

The Winchester Avenue area of Lakewood,OH was like that. Slovaks & Germans on the Madison Ave end where we were,polish & Hungarians on the other end. Funny how my family was on one end,& both her father & mother's families were on the other end of the same street. Not to mention that we were born 3 days apart. You could go for a walk after Sunday dinner with just the screen door closed,no locked doors or anything. Can't do that now...

I've heard that a lot. also heard BL & the like referred to as "a real man's beer".

"A real lightweight man". That comeback works well because the type of guy that talks about a "real man's beer" is often the kind to put a lot behind the idea of being labeled a "lightweight".

"A real lightweight man". That comeback works well because the type of guy that talks about a "real man's beer" is often the kind to put a lot behind the idea of being labeled a "lightweight".

My uncle, who lives in Chico, CA and naturally has access to a lot of good beer for little more than the cost of BMC, still drinks Budweiser like water. He'd tell you a real man doesn't worry about froo-froo things like "flavor" or "quality", but getting the job done the way he wants it done. I may not agree with his taste, but after 40 years laying bricks and solo-sailing halfway across the world in a 14 foot sailboat, I think he's earned the right to call himself a real man, even if he does drink swill instead of the good stuff.

I guess the point is that any beer is "a real man's beer" if it's in a real man's hand.

nasty_rabbit said:

I found the only downside when I renovated my house (southside slopes), It was pretty clear that Uncle Luddy and Jimmy and Sal from down the street did the framing and electrical (stealing names from my Slovak great aunts/uncles that grew up in the 'burgh).

On topic, there's no better place to hear funny things about beer than southside on a weekend.

I forget who it was, but some political analyst a while back described Pennsylvania as "Philadelphia in the east, Pittsburgh in the west, and Alabama in the middle." :D

I'm guessing he'd lump the part of PA you're fond of in with Pittsburgh...

FatDragon said:
My uncle, who lives in Chico, CA and naturally has access to a lot of good beer for little more than the cost of BMC, still drinks Budweiser like water. He'd tell you a real man doesn't worry about froo-froo things like "flavor" or "quality", but getting the job done the way he wants it done. I may not agree with his taste, but after 40 years laying bricks and solo-sailing halfway across the world in a 14 foot sailboat, I think he's earned the right to call himself a real man, even if he does drink swill instead of the good stuff.

I guess the point is that any beer is "a real man's beer" if it's in a real man's hand.

Nope your uncle sucks regardless of his accomplishments. Just because he drinks bud light. Hahaha :smack:

Thats awesome. Id love to sail half way to another country never mind the world. Cheers.

Back