mash temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cregar

Reaction score
This is my first all grain and I am mashing my copper dragon ale right now. I wanted to hit a mash temp of 152 but it ended up being 150 (added 163 degree water when I started).

The question is... should I leave it as is? or add more hot water to bring the temp up to 152? And adding more water won't that throw off my water to grist ratio?

Right now I have been mashing for approx 30 mins.

You can add a but more water to raise the temp. but the mash has probably finished with it's conversion anyway. I don't think 2 degrees will make a huge difference on your first AG.

I've mentioned this before but it bares repeating.
Do one or both of these on your next brew.
1. Pre heat your tun with very hot water, This will help the cooler absorb heat so it's not pulling heat from your mash.
2, Over shoot your mash water temp by 2 or 3 degrees. Add the water to your tun (after you drain the pre heat water if you used it)and let the temp drop to the desired mash in.
Works great and the mash maintains temperature much better. :mug:

Thanks RichBrewer.. I did preheat my tun but I guess I didn't heat it up high enough.

Lesson learned.

My mash water temp was originally 166 but I let cool down to the 163... I know not to let that happen again.

2nd lesson learned.

Back