Brew Dog?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBrewskie

Reaction score
I need a brew dog. I am thinking of an English Bulldog but they're supposed to be high maintenance and have health problems. Thoughts on other breeds or just share your dog?

McBrewskie said:
I need a brew dog. I am thinking of an English Bulldog but they're supposed to be high maintenance and have health problems. Thoughts on other breeds or just share your dog?

You are right in regards to English Bulldogs being high maintenance. My old bull had to eat special food that was $$$ and could not go outside on a hot day because of their skin problems. I currently have a boxer who is the best brew dog around. Not only does she drink beer but she eats my spent grains as if it was a treat. Great family dog too! Good luck!

My dog (mini schnauzer) eats my spent grains and then craps all over the place later. Including the house if it's at night and we don't hear her trying to get let out. Not a fun cleanup.

I just got two new brew puppies! A hound/shepard mix and a lab/boxer mix. Great little things that I have been teaching to clean up after me. Spilled beer, spilled wort, etc. I also have a similar problem as above, they eat the spent grains and then takes dry, grainy craps all over the house that fall apart like horse sh*t.

On the plus side though, i mix the grain with some P.B., flour, and egg then bake it till its completly dried out and i have cheap dog treats that they love!

Oh also, the boxer/lab mix is the dumbest dog i have ever owned. The hound mix is smart as a whip but that lab mix is just plain stupid.

We currently have 2 English Bulldogs... they are lazy, they fart a lot, they snore loud and all the time, they aren't the brightest species, they do whatever the hell they want whenever the hell they want to... I wouldn't be without them :D

Boxers are awesome as well, fantastic family dogs!

Our Bully's... Cali and Butu

DSC_3340.jpg

I got a rottweiler, she keeps all the other animals away from the pot. Super low maintenance, although I would recommend brushing often.

You can't go wrong with a Golden Retriever, but they do shed blonde hair everywhere. For a slower pace, the Basset Hound is sort of the couch potato of the dog world. If you're insanely active, then a Jack Russel Terrier is for you, they make the energizer bunny look lazy. Some of the best dogs are plain old mutts. No matter what breed you end up getting, I hope you'll have a look at your local animal shelter / dog pound 1st; you could easily find the best dog ever & actually save a life by adopting.
Regards, GF.

gratus fermentatio said:
You can't go wrong with a Golden Retriever, but they do shed blonde hair everywhere. For a slower pace, the Basset Hound is sort of the couch potato of the dog world. If you're insanely active, then a Jack Russel Terrier is for you, they make the energizer bunny look lazy. Some of the best dogs are plain old mutts. No matter what breed you end up getting, I hope you'll have a look at your local animal shelter / dog pound 1st; you could easily find the best dog ever & actually save a life by adopting.
Regards, GF.

Totally agree with the last part. I got a pit bull from a shelter once. They said the only reason they kept her was because she was so awesome. One of the best dogs I've ever had.

I got a rottweiler, she keeps all the other animals away from the pot. Super low maintenance, although I would recommend brushing often.

Rotts are renown for keep people away from pot.

What size are you looking for? I'd suggest one that likes to fetch. I love having my yellow lab hanging around. But she is a pathetic, needy thing. Never stops asking for love, except to fetch a ball.

We have had several dogs and the best were a Boxer (smartest dog I ever saw) and a Black Lab (112lb sweetheart). We've had several "pound puppies" that were problematic except one. We currently have a Westie named St. Arnold after the patron Saint of brewers, we call him Arnie. He is a good dog but a little rascal! Both the lab and boxer were "my" dogs and the Westie only pays attention to me when the wife is not around.
I never let them get onto the spent grain, just gave a little bit to them or made cookies out of spent grains.

Save a mutt! Our unknown breed (definitely mostly some sort of hound dog) is the best. For the most part, I keep her away from the brewing festivities, although some spent grain doggie treats may be in order soon.

2012-03-13 17.16.59.jpg

I currently have a doberman pinscher and she is extremely high maintenance. Not because she needs all sorts of special care, but because she is extremely needy. She needs constant attention, which I hear is pretty common for the breed.

You should really pair a dog with not only your lifestyle and personality but also your living situation and climate.

I love English Mastiffs, and mine was loving, protective, loyal, amongst other things... but where I live now the heat would be too much for him.

I've had a Golden Retriever which falls in line with the Labrador retrievers. Highly intelligent and very trainable but lots and lots of energy.

My border collie was probably the most intelligent, very attentive but also very high energy.

High energy not used = training difficulties, behavioral problems, and destructive tendencies. I'm a distance runner so when I've owned dogs, aside the mastiff, I'll generally find one that will put out miles with me. Rhodesian Ridgebacks are great for that.

For me though, mastiffs once full grown would make an awesome brewing companion. They will forever be at your side, and tend to be lazy and just like hanging out. Big eater though.

So boxers and mastiffs seem like the great choices. Also, yeah I intend to go the mut route from a local rescue, just wanting to get more ideas on breeds. Mastiff seems huge for my yard, was thinking medium sized dog, but I like the idea of them being somewhat lazy. Boxers seem like amazing family dogs which is great, I've heard they're super active though.

I've been a loyal fan of Australian Shepherds for a while now. They're not for everyone as they are quite energetic and they DO shed a lot. My current pair are very adaptable, they've grown to love hiking and I've got them walking on busy streets without problems now.

Blue (the one in my Avatar) has lost at least 10-12 pounds since I've had him. I've worked hard with him (lots of hiking & walking) and I believe he's been self-dieting. I also feed both of them "military style" (ie: 1/2 hour to eat it, if not, you get the same tomorrow) which helps control how much they eat.

MC

Misplaced_Canuck said:
I've been a loyal fan of Australian Shepherds for a while now. They're not for everyone as they are quite energetic and they DO shed a lot. My current pair are very adaptable, they've grown to love hiking and I've got them walking on busy streets without problems now.

Blue (the one in my Avatar) has lost at least 10-12 pounds since I've had him. I've worked hard with him (lots of hiking & walking) and I believe he's been self-dieting. I also feed both of them "military style" (ie: 1/2 hour to eat it, if not, you get the same tomorrow) which helps control how much they eat.

MC

My dogs self dieting is eat when hungry. I feed her twice a day a full bowl. I also try to get her the extra good stuff, grain free tons of protein. She has lots of muscles and like zero fat. She sprints around the yard like crazy everyday, I also walk her 1 mile twice a day, although that's mostly so I get at least some daily exercise

If you have the room and can handle weekly grooming, a large breed makes a great brew dog. I have a St Bernard/Pyrenees mix that is incredibly smart and has a great personality, he lays around all day and loves on everyone but understands when his presence isn't wanted. My other dog is a Newfoundland, she's 8 months old but I can tell she's my brew buddy for life. She won't stray more that 10 feet from the brew setup all day and she's gets a sample of every beer I drink. Heres a pic of her guarding her wort.

image-2233993271.jpg

I'm allergic to dogs so we got a maltese. He is the smartest dog I have ever seen! Love him to death and couldn't imagine life without him. Small dogs rule!

HancockBrew said:
You are right in regards to English Bulldogs being high maintenance. My old bull had to eat special food that was $$$ and could not go outside on a hot day because of their skin problems. I currently have a boxer who is the best brew dog around. Not only does she drink beer but she eats my spent grains as if it was a treat. Great family dog too! Good luck!

Plus one on the boxer. Greatest dogs I have ever had. Perfect for families.

My take on it is this: If you spend time training a dog, you end up with a very smart dog. ;)

My 2 new Aussies were dumber than bricks when I got 'em. Previous owner let them roam the yard, chase horses + cows, and not much else. I spent time socializing them and training them (a bit anyways) and they are falling into place.

Blue (see Avatar) was limping tonight, I didn't know why. I walked both of them 5 miles tonight +/-. Blue ended up with a blowout - he tore a foot pad. The streets around here at rough + tough, hence why he had a blowout.

I need to keep on top of 'em boys! They need to WALK! 5 miles a day is a great start. And it burns off beer fat! :D

MC

I love my bull terrier and our two chihuahuas but i enjoy all dogs pure or mutt. You just need to find a your buddy. Do your research, meet some breeders, visit some humane societies and eventually youll find your dog. Best of luck to ya

Misplaced_Canuck said:
My take on it is this: If you spend time training a dog, you end up with a very smart dog. ;)

My 2 new Aussies were dumber than bricks when I got 'em. Previous owner let them roam the yard, chase horses + cows, and not much else. I spent time socializing them and training them (a bit anyways) and they are falling into place.

Blue (see Avatar) was limping tonight, I didn't know why. I walked both of them 5 miles tonight +/-. Blue ended up with a blowout - he tore a foot pad. The streets around here at rough + tough, hence why he had a blowout.

I need to keep on top of 'em boys! They need to WALK! 5 miles a day is a great start. And it burns off beer fat! :D

MC

I guess my definition of smart is different for me, that's ok though.

Hope you dog is fine. I had to cage my dog for several days because of leg issues, I didn't even own one at the time.

MC

I have a 7 year old miniature australian shepherd (smaller than a fullsize, similar to the size of a border collie) and he is by leaps and bounds the most amazing dog I have ever owned. He is completely loyal to my wife and I, intelligent beyond belief and has a truly unique and quirky personality.

The breed, i agree, is not for everyone. They need exercise and attention and can be brutal and annoying if they are not entertained through work or play.

Here's a pic of mine:
DSC00531.jpg

The best two dogs I ever had were a Rottie and a Springer Spaniel. The Spaniel was high energy, but it's easy to exercise them - just requires time. The Rottie was super smart, a huge teddy bear, and a bit of a couch potato.

I've got a 2 year old English Bulldog and he is anything but lazy. But he is one of the most hard headed dogs i've ever known. He's not a big farter, but he snorts alot. We haven't had many health issues with him other than a few hot spots. He did get into some hops a while back and almost lost him, but like i said, he is hard headed enough that he pulled through. Now he is not allowed near the brew.

I've got a 2 year old English Bulldog and he is anything but lazy. But he is one of the most hard headed dogs i've ever known. He's not a big farter, but he snorts alot. We haven't had many health issues with him other than a few hot spots. He did get into some hops a while back and almost lost him, but like i said, he is hard headed enough that he pulled through. Now he is not allowed near the brew.

Hops are a no no for dog?

I had a cat eat a few ounces of weed once, no effect other than he slept for like 2 days.

Yeah, hops are deadly, even spent hops in tiny amounts. Thats what happened with me. My dog got into maybe less than half an oz. and a few hours later noticed him drinking alot of water, panting very heavily and just looking uncomfortable. We took him to the emergency vet, he had a skyrocket fever and they had to do alot of emergency work to get him stable. Hops give dogs malignant hyperthermia, basically they get really really hot and can't cool themselves. It eventually effects organ functions.

From everything i've heard and read, they won't go after hops normally, on the vine or whatever, but once they are spent and covered in sweet wort, they want a taste. Thats what happened with me.

Oh yeah, hops are bad for pooches. Hops go in the trash. Grains go in the compost.

For a dog, I think it was said before, get a pound pup. Something medium sized about 4-6 months old. It may even be fixed. Unless you are the type that has a specific need in a dog other than being a dog, mutts can't be beat.

Love it, look after it, spend time with it, and you'll have a friend for life.

Black and Tan coonhound. They have such a great personality as a breed. Don't let it fool you though, they can be mischievous little buggers as well. Labs are awesome dogs too, ours I a little hyper but always friendly.

image-1391465320.jpg

We have 3:
Nitro - 12 year old Pug mix - beyond lazy
Nellie - 6 year old Brittany - energetic and needy
Nikki - 8 month old Australian Cattle Dog (Red Heeler) she replaced Kronk our 12 year old Blue Heeler that passed away from cancer 2years ago. Nikki has discovered that she can jump and we think she believes she can fly. She is the Queen of Fetch!

We have 3:
Nitro - 12 year old Pug mix - beyond lazy
Nellie - 6 year old Brittany - energetic and needy
Nikki - 8 month old Australian Cattle Dog (Red Heeler) she replaced Kronk our 12 year old Blue Heeler that passed away from cancer 2years ago. Nikki has discovered that she can jump and we think she believes she can fly. She is the Queen of Fetch!

Pugs are lazy, I am lazy, hmm?:D

Back