ommegang hennepin yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoboBrewery

Reaction score
I went to college in Oneonta, NY. It was there that I developed a passion for real beer. Oneonta is 10 miles from Cooperstown, where the Baseball Hall of Fame is. Cooperstown is home to Cooperstown Brewery (actually in border town of Milford), which is a maker of English style ales. Close by is also Ommegang Brewery. I have to admit- I wasn't a big fan of Belgian Ales until after I left college and moved long away from Oneonta.

Ommegang is served in just about every state. If you haven't tried one, you should start.

Yesterday I was in a drinking mood so I bought a 6 pack of Troegs Dreamweaver Wheat (so good- possibly my favorite interpretation of a hef) and decided I'd pick up a bottle of Ommegang Hennepin. Both were stored warm and I needed beer so I froze the Hennepin and couple DW's.

I opened the Hennepin after a half hour into an appropriate drinking glass and started drinking it. Very balanced, very delicious, but what strikes me most about this beer is how great this strain of yeast is. Does anyone have info on their yeast?

I've looked into this one. It looks like you have to culture your own. If you don't feel like that you could try Wyeast Saison I guess, since Hennepen is a Saison. Of course Ommegang uses the same yeast in all their brews, so who knows if it really is a Saison strain or not.

Hennepin is currently my new favorite beer too.

I have family in Oneonta and I love beer and baseball. I haven't been there in like 15 years. What's wrong with me?

yea man you're gonna have to get on that.

ways i sees it: i could spend $7-8 for a 25 oz bottle, or i could try and replicate it for $50/50 12 oz bottles.

yea man you're gonna have to get on that.

ways i sees it: i could spend $7-8 for a 25 oz bottle, or i could try and replicate it for $50/50 12 oz bottles.

I could cost you very little to replicate...but you would need to culture the yeast in a petridish to create colonies, then harvest and step up to the size of starter you need...it's a little work, but if your in to it, it's kinda cool!

Hell, I'm working...working on brewing up 3 new beers for this weekend! I lucked out and realized I had too much vacation time left on the books, so three day weekend here we go!

I've got some of their yeast that I harvested from a Rare Vos bottle - it's got just the right amount of funk to it and eats sugar like crazy!

I wanted to make a crazy Belgian yeast combo, harvested yeast from an Ommegang Witte and a Unibroue Blanche de Chambly. Got each one back to life combined them both and brewed a Belgian Blonde, just brewed a peated rye ale and pored on top of the yeast cake and had one if my most furious fermentations. The blonde tasted great, and are excited to use this yeast in the future. Good luck.

Back