Lager Carbonating - room temp or lager temp?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrJekyll-HomeBrew

Reaction score
i am going to do two lagers in the next week and i wanted to know when using bottling sugar with bottles will they become carbonated properly at room temperature or at the temperature they were fermented at. if you have them at room temp will this create off flavors or change it? when bottling a lager should you use less priming sugar than a ale recipe (ie 5oz)?

They will carbonate faster at higher temperature. Since the amount of sugar that is being fermented for carbonation is very small compared to the overall beer volume, it doesn't impact the flavor. Actually, many breweries use a lager strain to carbonate the ales if it is a long aged beer or they want to protect their proprietary strain of ale yeast.

I would assume the sugar amount should be the same, assuming the yeast you are using attenuates the same as ale yeasts.

Latest posts

Back