What is your average batch size of beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whats your average batch of beer size?

• 1 Gallon

• 3 Gallons

• 5 Gallons

• 6 Gallons

• 10 Gallons

• Bigger!!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pivot

Reaction score
So I was in my LHBS and on a sheet in the store, they were talking about smack packs, and at one point made a comment that on average Canadian batch sizes are 20% bigger then American batch sizes. I was wondering how true this actually is because it seems like heresay to me, but anyways after you take the poll let us know where abouts your from :rockin:

Well there was no poll attached to this thread... but I do 5 gallon batches, texas :)

With few exceptions, I make 5 gallon batches of beer. Mead 1 gallon, wine 2-5 gallons, experimental beers 1-3.5 gallons.

I guess I'm not average. 30 gallons is a decent batch
20 gallons is the smallest i can go with my new Blichmann 55 gallon kettle. the 4th kettle over is my old little 15 gallon kettle we use to heat cleaner in.
100_1688.jpg

Canadians 20% bigger ya right .... They also swim in the Atlantic at Myrtle Beach in March :drunk:

lol well Im not really sure what you meant by that second part.. what does that even mean

Just means you guys are crazy water is like 50 and the air maybe 60 ... but I guess that summer temps for youse guys Aye...

I brew 6 gallon batches. I get about 5.5 gallons into the fermenter, 5 gallons into the keg.

i normally shoot for 6.5 since I bought my first 6.5 gallon carboy in 1996. 5 never made sense to me. now that I am kegging I get a full keg and 5 or 6 bombers to give away. seems like the perfect size.

Those Canucks don't use Imperial gallons like the Brits, do they?

Well, we use the metric system but when we did use gallons we used the British gallon. One gallon of water weighs ten pounds. Now, that's an official measurement but we're well aware of the difference between US gallons and Imperial gallons. Since neither is the national standard now we brew with whatever we damn well please. In fact, I often switch between US gallons and metric in Beersmith when I'm brewing and tweaking recipes. It's just much easier to use US gallons since I interact with you Yanks so much on this site. :tank:

:rockin::rockin:
Well, we use the metric system but when we did use gallons we used the British gallon. One gallon of water weighs ten pounds. Now, that's an official measurement but we're well aware of the difference between US gallons and Imperial gallons. Since neither is the national standard now we brew with whatever we damn well please. In fact, I often switch between US gallons and metric in Beersmith when I'm brewing and tweaking recipes. It's just much easier to use US gallons since I interact with you Yanks so much on this site. :tank:

YES MY CANUCK BROTHER!! we brew whatever we damn well please haha. im damn proud to be a canadian and brew whatever i want:rockin:

I started with 2.5 gallon batches, and went with taht until I developed a routine. Now I am doing 5 gallons (of beer) a shot, for mead and apple wine I still do smaller batches as I do many "experiments". :fro:

haha well your from New York, so I cant imagine it gets much colder here then it does there.

Maybe we just handle it a little better ;)

but not for as long.. I have left here in June and it would be 70° get to Main and I was damn cold on the bike temps in the low 50°. Spur of the moment thing lets go for a early Lobsta dinner ... Dumbasses that we are didn't figure it would be that cold at 3 pm .. So we stayed over SWMBO loved the idea was like a little vacation.

Back