New MT.. confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budzu

Reaction score
Hi all, I've just completed a brew with a new mashtun which I constructed with a 60 qt. cooler and a SS hose braid. I am plugging numbers from my notes and something is off. These numbers are not working for me somehow. If anyone can help me figure out what is going on and what my efficiency/boil-off rate actually is it would come greatly appreciated.

My recipe targeted 1.072 SG with my old efficiency of 80%.
I dual-batch sparge, and collected 7.33 gallons of wort for the boil.
Pre-boil gravity was 14, or 1.055. Confirmed both with hydro and refract. This is where I wanted to be.
60 minute boil, collected about 4.9 gallons of chilled wort and left behind I'd say .8-.9 gallons in the kettle after siphoning and chilling. I chilled to about 60.
Gravity into fermenter is 1.065

These numbers aren't working for me, as my pre-boil implies an efficiency of around 80 and my post-boil says more like 67. I'm pretty sure I'm accounting for all volumes.

Help? I bet I'm doing something dumb. Can't wait to facepalm.

Thanks in advance and cheers!

Ok... its making more sense. 7.33 with 15% evap @ 60 minutes = 1.1 gallon boil-off, and 1.065 final gravity. I guess I left more than a gallon behind in the fermenter. 1.25 or more hot gallons. ouch ..

at least my conversion efficiency is still at 80ish :)

Back