I have no CO2 knowledge whatsoever.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreakinA

Reaction score
I'm making the jump to kegs, I have one corny sitting beside me as I speak(ball lock) and my fridge can fit 3 more. I do not yet have the regulator beer lines or the small picnic taps(no drilling on this fridge) and I am getting really confused on which regulator to use. I plan on having 3 kegs on tap as the maximum since thats all the room I have, but as for right now have 1 or 2. I have been looking on AHS NB and Micromatic at their regulators, but I dont really get what sort of regulator I need If I plan to have 3 separate kegs. Also I would want to be force carbing these if that changes what type of regulator is needed. Anyone have a good idea of a reg?

The nicest setup would be to have the triple regulator so you can set 3 different pressures. If you are on a budget...you can just get the single and split the gas with a "T" or a "+" Fitting (This is what I did) or manifold.

If you are going to be carbing all kegs to the same pressure, then you just need a single regulator, and a distribution manifold. For different pressures you'll need a primary regulator like thisone.. You will also need at least two more of these. Or one of these.

I personally haven't invested in secondary regulators yet, and just carb all of my beer to the same pressure usually. Another option would be to carbonate to style using priming sugar in the keg and then just using the CO2 to push the beer out of the keg at a lower pressure.

Well my setup currently isn't the nicest, I do have somewhat of a budget as I am a college student. I was looking into the single regulator that is most common, but I was wondering if I would be able to force carb on one keg, and serve the other two, or If I would have to just temporarily disconnect and such. As I am a college student, minor hassles dont seem to bother me as long as I do get my beer in the end.

Well my setup currently isn't the nicest, I do have somewhat of a budget as I am a college student. I was looking into the single regulator that is most common, but I was wondering if I would be able to force carb on one keg, and serve the other two, or If I would have to just temporarily disconnect and such. As I am a college student, minor hassles dont seem to bother me as long as I do get my beer in the end.

I have a WYE on my regulator, for two kegs. Actually, this is the set up I have: 2 Keg Basic Keg Kit, Dispenses two kegs at once! (Separate Check Valves!)

It's important to have separate check valves, so the beer can't flow back from the higher pressured keg back into the gas line and into the regulator. There are those shut off valves, so if I'm force carbing one keg at a high pressure, I can turn it off, and still drink from the other one. It works great for me. I have several additional kegs, so beer can be kegged and ready to go when one runs out. I'm happy with my set up.

Go with the dual regulator (If you can afford it) and a splitter- that way you can serve two (same pressure) and force carb one on the other. You can certainly get by with a single regulator and splitter/manifold to split to three, as long as you have shut offs and use the 'blast at 30 PSI let go blast again' for force carbing, as opposed to the constant 12 PSI method.

My other concern, is if you can only fit 3, and can't drill, where's the CO2 tank going? You'll either be less one keg, or have some hole for air lines....

Go with the dual regulator (If you can afford it) and a splitter- that way you can serve two (same pressure) and force carb one on the other. You can certainly get by with a single regulator and splitter/manifold to split to three, as long as you have shut offs and use the 'blast at 30 PSI let go blast again' for force carbing, as opposed to the constant 12 PSI method.

My other concern, is if you can only fit 3, and can't drill, where's the CO2 tank going? You'll either be less one keg, or have some hole for air lines....
My fridge is tallest at the front, then has a slope from the middle to the back. the 3 kegs can fit in the front like this _--_ (2 further up and one a couple inches back) and the co2 has plenty of room towards the back of the fridge. Or are you telling me that co2 cant go in the fridge? In this case some rethinking is needed on my part.

I have a double body regulator but I use the "set and forget" method of force carbing. I got a double body so my mild can have a different level of carbonation from my hefe or apfelwein.

A double regulator will cost more but it will give you some flexibility with different pressures to the kegs. As stated above you can split one line to serve 2 kegs at the same pressure and ramp up the pressure on the 3rd keg if you wish.

The CO2 tank can go in the refrigerator too.

that is exactly what your looking for. split one and run it to the 2 serving kegs. set the other one higher for force carbing

To clarify on the regulators.

A Primary regulator connects to the keg and need a minimum of 500lbs to work. A second regulator can have a MAXimum of 200lbs. SO, Your primary would have to supply the secondary, UNLESS you hook them up in succession on your CO2 Tank.

It is difficult to explain, but 1 primary and 1 secondary can only supply 1 pressure, unless piggy backed, like the "Dual" regulators sold.

Most regulators would have a "Hi" in (connects to tank) a "Hi" out (Pressure Gauge or second regulator), and two low outs (Gauge & Supply Line).

Back