Critique My Recipe for "They Call Me Plobby Pale Ale"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkothecarp

Reaction score
I've never done an IPA before, so what do you guys think about this recipe?

Grains:
7lbs Amber Liquid Malt Extract
8oz American Crystal 15L
8oz Victory Malt
4oz American Crystal 35L

Hops:
60 minutes 1.0oz Warrior
55 minutes 0.5oz Leftover Saaz
45 minutes 1.0z Simcoe
30 minutes 1.0oz Cascade
Flameout 1.0oz Amarillo

Other:
4oz Maltodextrin

Yeast:
American Ale II - the homebrew guy was either really drunk, or really helpful, because he was quite talkative (in the most abstract sense of the word) about the absolute benefits of American Ale II yeast as opposed to American Ale yeast.

I wonder how the Saaz will do against those other hops. I'd be interested to hear someone with more experience give some insight on it.

The Saaz, actually, were leftovers. I didn't go out of my way to buy them. They were in the fridge, and I decided I will just throw them in. But, will throwing them in at a different time make be more appropriate?

Hops:
60 minutes 1.0oz Warrior
55 minutes 0.5oz Leftover Saaz
45 minutes 1.0z Simcoe
30 minutes 1.0oz Cascade
Flameout 1.0oz Amarillo

I don't know about your other ingredients or hop pairing, but from my understanding, your 55, 45, and 30 min hop additions are kind of pointless. You will not see most recipes with additions between 60 and 20 min because those will only give you bitterness and bittering hops are added at 60 (you might get a little flavor from 30min, but not much). Flavor hops are added 20-15min and aroma hops 5-0min

I like my IPAs fairly dry and crisp- I don't think I'd use maltodextrine in it. I'm also unsure about the amber LME. That seems like it would be too dark and maybe even sweet.

Back