Wine Degassing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
Besides the spoon handle with the hole that I got from my LHBS, are their any easier ways to degass wine. Maybe something that hooks to a drill....

or is the spoon method good enough?

Yes I bought one at my local homebrew shop or try finevinewines.com he even has videos showing it in use, Ken

most places that sell winemaking supply have these
Mix/Stir Tool - Hooks Up To A Drill

The big boys bubble nitrogen gas through the wine to strip out the co2 - this prevents mixing in oxygen. Of course ideally you would let it degass naturally since either stirring or nitrogen stripping will also strip out some of the volatile aroma compounds.

Of course ideally you would let it degass naturally since either stirring or nitrogen stripping will also strip out some of the volatile aroma compounds.

The problem with aging is that CO2 can remain in solution even if you let them sit a long time, at about 0.9 volumes. Of course, you can rack a few times, but you should add sulfite each time and eventually the level of sulfite will be quite high.

The mix/stir is a great tool for degassing, especially if you have a variable speed drill.

I have a unused wire welding rod if thats the right term for it and bend it into a L shape and attached it to a drill and go at it.

If its a stainless steel rod go for it. If its a welding rod save it for welding it will be covered in flux that I'd bet wouldn't bee good for wine.

I use a whizz stick

But I've seen people use a vac u vin bottle stopper, and brake bleeding tool

I vaccuum degas with a rigged wine saver pump. Very effective if done carefully. No shoulder strain. I usually do it a few days in a row.

I use a Mity-Vac. Just use food grade tubing (obviously) not the tubing that comes with the Mity-Vac.

Yes I bought one at my local homebrew shop or try finevinewines.com he even has videos showing it in use, Ken

I stopped in last weekend and checked out FineVineWines.com (Wine Maker's Toy Store) and it was a nice place. The folks working there were very friendly and knowledgeable and walked me around the store and helped with my purchase. I'd highly recommend them and that tool for the drill!

oh man that vac-vin deal takes forever! esp if you have a kit wine. I would go the brake bleeder route, thats what I have done and it works great.

Heres some do it youself ideas...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMwq3TpkqCE&NR=1]YouTube - Click trick #1 Wine degassing[/ame]

I shake my carboys back and forth on the table or counter top (be careful not to drop it off) for several minutes. With the airlock still in place, if there is trapped co2 you will see the bubbles rising and the airlock will bubble. This keeps any O2 from being introduced into the wine and leaves a protective layer of c02 on the wine.

I also use a vacuum pump (2 cfm) to do long term, low vacuum (20") de-gassing if the wine is heavily saturated with co2. Brake bleeders work, but you have to keep pumping and as long as there is trapped co2, you will never maintain a vacuum on the carboy.

I have used the drill mounted whip with success, but be careful not to create a vortex that will introduce O2 to the wire. Use a forward and reverse rotation to agitate the wine and release co2.

Salute! :mug:

Back