Small batch recipe idea help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzman

Reaction score
Probably a silly idea but money is tight, I've not brewed in quite some time, and I have some ingredients on hand...I need something to do tonight with a few friends over. :D Here's what I've got:

4lbs Pale LME
8oz Crystal 20L
8oz Victory
14oz Chocolate

1oz Challenger 6.5%
2oz Hallertauer Tradition 6%
.75oz Warrior 16.4%

1pkt Nottingham
1/2 tube WLP 001 (not enough time for starter)

Surely a low abv batch (3gal?) of session brew can come of this. I'm not the greatest with recipe formulation. Could I do a Nut Brown using Pale LME? Any other ideas. Perhaps this could be the right time for me to practice doing a minimash for the first time.

Thanks much for any help.

Looks like you have everything you need to make a nice special or best bitter.

4 gal batch
OG 1.041
IBU 23
SRM 14
ABV 4.0%

4 lb. light LME
8 oz. victory
8 oz. crystal 20
4 oz. chocolate

.33 oz challenger 60 min
.33 oz challenger 20 min
.33 oz. challenger 5 min

Do a partial mash with the victory, crystal and chocolate malt (add the grains to 1.5 gal. water and hold at 154 degrees F for 30 min.)

I based the IBU off of a 2.5 gal boil and adding all of the LME at the beginning so if you do a late extract addition you may want to drop the 60 min hop addition to about 0.25 oz. and use the extra in the last two additions. Use the nottingham yeast and you wont have had to buy anything and will have 4 gal of a no-compromise bitter.

Looks like you have everything you need to make a nice special or best bitter.

4 gal batch
OG 1.041
IBU 23
SRM 14
ABV 4.0%

4 lb. light LME
8 oz. victory
8 oz. crystal 20
4 oz. chocolate

.33 oz challenger 60 min
.33 oz challenger 20 min
.33 oz. challenger 5 min

Do a partial mash with the victory, crystal and chocolate malt (add the grains to 1.5 gal. water and hold at 154 degrees F for 30 min.)

I based the IBU off of a 2.5 gal boil and adding all of the LME at the beginning so if you do a late extract addition you may want to drop the 60 min hop addition to about 0.25 oz. and use the extra in the last two additions. Use the nottingham yeast and you wont have had to buy anything and will have 4 gal of a no-compromise bitter.

I like this recipe and agree that you will have a nice beer. Only one suggestion though and since you have them use them (my MO). Use .33 Oz of Tradition at 15 min instead of the challengrer at 20 min. If you do the late extract use the .25 oz of Challenger at 60 min and the remianing .08 Challenger with the 15 min Tradition additon. This might give more complex flavor/aroma - but either way it will be AWESOME!

Absolutely awesome. Thanks much for the help fellas. I've got about 5hrs until brew:30 happens. Looks like a special bitter is coming up. :mug:

Back