ordinary bitter with american 2row?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandoman

Reaction score
So i happen to have some kent goldings and want to make a beer to show this hop variety. I'd like to do an ordinary bitter but don't have any english base malts. I have american 2row (briess). I do have some munich and some vienna which I don't know much about and a little chocolate, roasted barley, and various crystals.

I'm wondering if I used the munich and vienna (assuming they have the british biscuit flavor) and some 2 row would I get closer to the taste of the bitter. I make 10 gallon batches but only have 4 lbs munich and 2 lbs vienna.

can y'all school me on the munich and vienna malts or maybe suggest something else.

Oh, I was planning on pitching on a safale 04 cake, part of the reason i'm going the esb direction.

cb

If you want to learn the tastes then keep it simple.

I'd go for Base, a medium crystal and a touch of the munich to make up for the lack of flavour in the 2 row. Or forgo the Munich and add carapils for head retention and mouth feel. Maybe mash on the high side.

Forget he dark grains and roasted barley

The Wiki is a good place to start on malt profiles

If anyone ought to know, it's Orfy! :D

Personally, I'd choose a touch (5-10%) of Vienna over Munich; other than that, it's 10% Crystal ~60L, and the rest US 2-row.

Cheers,

Bob

thanks, guys. I'm looking to learn about malts now so thanks tons for the wiki idea. Never knew if I could trust those things but if orfy suggests it...........................

'prece

cb

Back