First Time Brewing - Bottle or Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mulder11

Reaction score
I plan to brew my first homebrew this weekend. From the experts, should I consider using a keg or bottle for my first batch? I've read all the advantages that kegging has and would like to hear from others as to what is the best method to start out with.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Scott

Well if you bottle, it's one less thing to have to figure out, for now. On the other hand it isn't rocket science. It'll cost you more to start off but you'll be able to relax later, enjoying your kegged beer wondering why people take the time to bottle.

I have yet to keg, but plan to get a few kegs in the spring.

One downside though is if you make a lot of batches, you need a lot of kegs. And bottles are cheap.

Im sure everyone started with bottles such as me! I eventually went to corney kegs and a nice kegerator from best buy for 550,bucks.I still love to bottle.I thought that when I got my kegerator I would never have to wash a bottle again.Not true.Your gonna want all your friends to sample your beer.Take some here,and there.I always take a few bottles to a buddys house for sampling.Another good thing is you can always taste a single bottle to see if your beer is aged right untill your ready to tap.I usually keg 5 gal and bottle 5. Good luck and remember,CLEAN.CLEAN,CLEAN...........:cross:

I went straight to kegs and only bottle for parties or sending samples out. You can keg with nothing more than the keg, a small CO2 pressurizer and a party tap. Just store it in a cool place. Bottles are more portable, cheaper and a lot more work.

Ya! I thought about bringing a corny keg to party but was worried about shaking up the yeast on the bottom.Doesnt look good in the glass.Bottles sure are alot of work too!Still looking for some more corny kegs.Too many bottles in my house.

Latest posts

Back