Spent Grain Bread again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so you just put the spent grain right in the bread, no milling it into flour or anything?

z987k said:
so you just put the spent grain right in the bread, no milling it into flour or anything?
You got it! I tried this once and wasn't a big fan. The flavor was fine, but the husks get stuck in your teeth and add a texture that I don't really enjoy.

Yuri_Rage said:
You got it! I tried this once and wasn't a big fan. The flavor was fine, but the husks get stuck in your teeth and add a texture that I don't really enjoy.

on the topic that I brought up of milling though, could you mill the spent barley into flour and make things with it?

I made some tonight with the spent grain from my first mini-mash. The bread turned out awesome. Super easy, too. Thanks for the recipe!

+10000000

Dear god, we almost choked to death on the sharp husks, as they scraped their way down our throats. I would DEFINITELY recommend milling/processing/grinding the spent grain before you bake with it. The flavor of the bread I made was good (needed some salt), but we couldn't eat it for the texture.

Dear god, we almost choked to death on the sharp husks, as they scraped their way down our throats. I would DEFINITELY recommend milling/processing/grinding the spent grain before you bake with it. The flavor of the bread I made was good (needed some salt), but we couldn't eat it for the texture.

Weird, I make spent grain bread every couple of weeks. It's our house bread (meaning my kids get it for sandwiches in their lunches, it's our standard toast bread, etc.) and don't have a problem with husks.

I'll take that back. We did once when I had used a boatload of rice hulls in the mash. That was rough. The rice hulls aren't moist and soft the way the rest of the mash grains are. They'll get stuck in your teeth.

Try making your bread with spent grains that don't have any rice hulls. It's good stuff.Here's my recipe (courtesy of Peter Reinhart).
1796088107_d4f4abcc60.jpg

I'll take that back. We did once when I had used a boatload of rice hulls in the mash. That was rough. The rice hulls aren't moist and soft the way the rest of the mash grains are. They'll get stuck in your teeth.

Well crap, there you go. I totally forgot that I added a whole bag of rice husks to that batch. Thanks for posting, at least I know I can try it with another batch some time. :mug:

I made some Treberbrot again today. This time I took pictutes and put the recipe on the wiki: Teberbrot - Home Brewing Wiki

Kai
Sounds good!

Here are some observations on the wiki entry:
Teberbrot
From Home Brewing Wiki

--Kaiser 23:31, 8 December 2007 (CST)

Spent Grain Bread or Treberbrot (the German word for spent grain is Teber)...
Typo (in bold)?

Preheat the oven to 420 *F. Mix all the ingredients well and kneed for about 10 min. After that let the dough rise until doubled in volume.

Once risen for the first time, knock the dough down and form a loaf. Let this loaf rise for another 30 min.

With a sharp knife cut slits into the top and bake for about 40 min.
I'm not sure what oven you have, but mine preheats a lot faster than it takes to mix ingredients, knead for 10 minutes, wait for dough to rise, then knock down and rise for 30 more minutes! (Just suggesting a better place for the Preheat instruction ;))

In any event, it looks tasty and I plan to try it soon! Thanks!

The texture of mine was great, and I followed the recipe without doing anything to the grain. I added a bit more water b/c the dough seemed too dry, but that was it. But, as others have said, I suspect the type of grain that was in your brew might have something to do with the texture.

Here are some observations on the wiki entry:
Typo (in bold)?

The typo was actually in Teber. It should be Treber. But thanks for pointing that out.

I'm not sure what oven you have, but mine preheats a lot faster

I’m using a pizza stone to bake the bread on. That takes a while to preheat, hence the early preheating instructions.

Kai

I’m using a pizza stone to bake the bread on. That takes a while to preheat, hence the early preheating instructions.

Kai
I'm spoiled rotten by my heavy pizza stone. It takes 30-45 minutes to pre-heat, but you should be doing that anyway. The stone keeps the temperature in the oven from fluctuating as the oven cycles. I consider the stone indispensable (and should probably be mandatory) for hearth breads or heavier loaves.

Chad

I really like to try this, but I have a question... I'm from Argetnina, and I don't know what you mean by "bread flour". You have a type of flour that is only for making bread? Can I replace it by wheat flour?
May be (surely) we have a similar product here, but not by that name... Some help? please?

Thx.

Cheers.

Blanda,

"Bread flour" is a term commonly used in the U.S. for a higher protein flour (typically made from harder wheat), as compared to "all-purpose" flour. The higher gluten content lends a chewier texture to the bread. I would expect you would have something like that in Argentina. If not, thought, you can use whatever flour you would normally use for bread.

TL

I have a HearthKit Brick Oven insert in my gas oven. It looks like the Hearthkit site is down and you can't buy one right now. Cook's Illustrated reviewed the Hearth Kit and concluded that it makes little difference in a professional quality oven (like the Wolf ovens they used), but that it improved the quality of the baking in typical home ovens. Nevertheless, a lot of home bread bakers swear by them. I love mine. It takes almost an hour to preheat it evenly before baking bread in it. This Just Baking site has a good write up on it and some pics.

I tried making some wheat bread with whole hard winter wheat mixed in. I'd soaked the grains for 24 hours. The grains were still too tough. I'll try using spent grains next weekend when I brew again. I bet that will make a huge difference in texture.

Latest posts

Back