Chlorophenol SMaSH Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreddyMar3

Reaction score
I am in the process of working on a presentation to my brewing club about chlorine/chloramines and the importance of removing these disinfectants from brewing water in order to prevent the formation of chlorophenols. I thought it would be a great idea to brew two mini 1 or 2 gal test batches where the only control was adding campden to the water. I figured this would also be a great opportunity to do my first smash and mini BIAB. I'm just not sure what grain/hops to use to most clearly showcase the chlorophenols. I'm thinking of just doing 2-row and cascade, so that there isn't much flavor to cover up the chlorophenols.

Make sense?

this is a cool idea. I'd do something with low hop aroma so that it doesn't cover up the effects you're testing. may not be the best beer, but a good test should be free of interference.

I'll be interested to hear how this turns out, and whether you actually detect anything. I use chlorinated water all the time.

Something like a kolsch might be a good bet. Very little bitterness or hop.

Just picked up the ingredients. Very basic. 6 lbs 2 row, 1 oz cascade (prob will only use 2/3 o that), Safale-05. Going to split everything down the middle and make two 1.5ish gallon batches, keeping the campden addition as my control. Then I'm going to do a blind taste test with my club.

I will definitely post the results when I'm finished. Shouldn't take but a few weeks for a beer this small to be ready. I will also try to figure out a way to post my presentation and homemade campden calculator.

Will you be testing the chlorine level prior to brewing? I would be tempted to get it to maybe 2-3 ppm. Totally within most municipal water supply levels, and should guarantee results. (It would for me anyway, I'm quite sensitive to it) A pool test kit would do the trick.

I work for the water company that serves our area (Aqua America) so I was able to get the most recent analysis from the plant that serves our system. Granted most of the chlorine will dissipate before it reaches the kettles but the chloramines should still be in good order. As of the report, the plant is running at about 2.06ppm on chloramines. Typically we see testing come in around 1.0-1.5 when it reaches the consumer, as some of it degrades in the system. So for my purposes I am going to assume a level of 1.0-1.5 but treat it as if it is 3.0 (per the campden directions).

Also interested in the results, the only difference will be the campden tablets? I run our water through a active carbon filter, but have been thinking about trying RO water with mineral additions...

Yep campden will be the only difference. Every other variable will be consistent between the two batches.

From what I've read, AC filters SHOULD remove all chlorine and chloramines. In an RO system, the AC filter serves the purpose of stripping that stuff out in order to preserve the RO membrane. That said, it is impossible to know without testing. Taste and odor thresholds for Cl and Chloramines are higher than for chlorophenols so even if your brew water tastes and smells fine, it could still create chlorophenols and thus off flavors. Again, this is all coming from the research I've been doing to prep for this presentation.

Thank god for campden!

I'm very interested in this too...my municipal water has 3.0 ppm chloramines and I have just bought campden in effort to figure out if the water is what has been ruining my beers...taste great initially then degrades through the weeks...

Great idea, I wisb someone had taught me sooner about water. Homebrew shops should be warning customers. Would have saved my first brews.

I'm very interested in this too...my municipal water has 3.0 ppm chloramines and I have just bought campden in effort to figure out if the water is what has been ruining my beers...taste great initially then degrades through the weeks...

Wow! 3.0 ppm is really high. 4.0 is considered the upper threshold by the EPA. Assuming you've confirmed that is the level which is coming out of your faucet, you should probably consider upping your campden slightly above the recommended dose. Campden is typically dosed for 3.0 ppm but it's always safe to overshoot slightly.

So here is the plan for tomorrow, er technically today... Each brew will be the following:

Yeast: S-05
Hops: 0.35oz Cascade @60 min
Grain: 3lbs US 2-row
Batch size: 1.5gal
Est OG: 1.048
Est IBU: 29
Est ABV: 4.9%

Single Infusion Mash (BIAB): 90 min (want to make sure those chlorophenols are created!)
Boil time: 90 min

Should be pretty simple.

In the thick of it. For those process freaks out there, you'll be happy to know that I even used campden treated water to rinse/wash any of the equipment used on the campden brew. All in the name of science!!

Wow! 3.0 ppm is really high. 4.0 is considered the upper threshold by the EPA. Assuming you've confirmed that is the level which is coming out of your faucet, you should probably consider upping your campden slightly above the recommended dose. Campden is typically dosed for 3.0 ppm but it's always safe to overshoot slightly.

That was water report for town so hoping it is less than that out of my faucet!! I now have my 100 campden tablets ready to roll for the forseeable future of brewing!

It seems to me that the chlorine is extremely reactive, but it’s so unstable that it readily gases out. I would expect it to be pretty well gone by the time you hit strike temperature.

Chloramine, on the other hand is much harder to get rid of, but is much less reactive. Lots of people in my brewclub don’t do anything to the tapwater and seem to get away with it.

I use a .6 micron carbon block filter and it knocks the chloramine down to a level that it doesn’t show on a test paper that goes down to .1 ppm total chlorine. Right out of the tap it shows 3 ppm. Through the filter it’s the same color as RO and distilled. I still use Campden, but on the order of .1g.

I don’t see much band-aid flavor in competitions but it does happen. I wonder if it’s bleach.

It seems odd that the chloramine only reacts some of the time, but maybe that’s the case.

It seems odd that the chloramine only reacts some of the time, but maybe that’s the case.

One thing I've been told frequently by the lab guys here is that the chloramine levels vary pretty widely, not only throughout the system but even at a single residence. Maybe that is the cause of the variability. Although I suppose the grain bill/ mash time /temp/ and sparging techniques could all play a part in that as well.

I'm very interested in how this turns out. My municipal water has chloramines and for the longest time I never treated it with campden tablets. At the same time, I never noticed any off flavors that seemed to be attributable to chlorophenols. However, I recently started using the campden tablets anyway because I'm a bit paranoid. However, I don't notice any difference.

This leaves me wondering if, at least for some municipal water, the whole chlorophenol scare is pointless and unnecessary.

It'd be good to see your results as you have a nice controlled experiment. Maybe I'm just not sensitive to these off flavors. But maybe some of your brew club members are sensitive and they could detect a difference.

Let us know how it turns out.

The effect of chlorine compounds can also be assessed without brewing. All it takes is a minor film of chlorinated water in a serving glass to produce notable chlorophenols in beer. So the problems with chlorinated compounds can be encountered at any point in the brewing or serving process.

I look forward to your results.

One thing I've been told frequently by the lab guys here is that the chloramine levels vary pretty widely, not only throughout the system but even at a single residence. Maybe that is the cause of the variability. Although I suppose the grain bill/ mash time /temp/ and sparging techniques could all play a part in that as well.

If I understand it correctly, this is caused by the fact that as the water leaves the plant, it will have the highest concentration of chlorine/chloramine, but as it travels through the pipe system, more of the chlorine and chloramine is neutralized by contaminants in the pipes. So I suspect the farther away your water supply is from the water plant, the less chlorine/chloramine you'll get in your water (although you might have higher concentrations of other minerals).

If I understand it correctly, this is caused by the fact that as the water leaves the plant, it will have the highest concentration of chlorine/chloramine, but as it travels through the pipe system, more of the chlorine and chloramine is neutralized by contaminants in the pipes. So I suspect the farther away your water supply is from the water plant, the less chlorine/chloramine you'll get in your water (although you might have higher concentrations of other minerals).

That is correct. Not sure about the mineral content increasing but definitely the concentration of bacteria.

I bottled the experiment this weekend. Must say that I could not taste and difference at bottling. Hopefully it will come through more in the finished product. I'll also note that this is an awful recipe for beer. Never make a smash modeled after this beer.

An update this if anyone is still tracking... I had two people blind taste test so far and both could tell the difference. I seem to notice it as well but I haven't had anyone blind test me yet. My club will be the ultimate test. Will have the results December 4th.

FreddyMar3 said:
An update this if anyone is still tracking... I had two people blind taste test so far and both could tell the difference. I seem to notice it as well but I haven't had anyone blind test me yet. My club will be the ultimate test. Will have the results December 4th.

Will this be a blind triangle test? I highly recommend it over just 2 samples.

Based on personal experience I have a feeling I know how the results will turn out, but interested for your numbers nonetheless.

Definitely do a triangle test. I did an experiment with olive oil, and the homebrew club tasting was a disaster. We didn’t tell anyone what the difference was. The beer was served ice cold (out of my control). The comments were all over the map. 30% preferred one, 30% preferred the other 30% had no preference. The remaining 10% thought they were the same.

The beers were noticeably different, but all I proved was people like free beer. It cost me 3 ½ cases of beer (big club).

Agree on the triangle tests...I remember in high school a project where each group had to come up with a sensory test. One group said they were going to try to investigate the effect of vision on taste, so they blindfolded us and had us drink different pop and guess what each was. They dyed 7-up green and made sure we could peek a little bit though the blindfold and almost everyone labled it as mountain dew...including me...

In case you don't know what the triangle test is, you randomly give each member 3 samples, 2 of one type and 1 of the other type. You ask them to select the one that is different. After you have the results you can apply basic statistics to determine if there was a discernable notice...

Looking forward to the outcome of this also - that being said, I recently had a chlorophenol mystery on my hands when 2-3 batches came out with some pretty severe band-aid flavor.

I went through all sorts of different variables(AC filter change, campden, moving to a different water source, etc).. turns out, that I forgot one variable late in the game. I was making up my batch priming solution with tap water but not running it through my carbon filter or treating with campden.. doh! Felt pretty stupid to miss something so obvious, but all batches since then have been band-aid free.

Moral of the story.. priming water is not an exception :D

Thanks for the input everyone. I am going to shoot to do the triangle test. One week away...

Sorry for the delay! I did do the blind triangle test and the results were encouraging. Unfortunately I only got to test 15 ppl (small turnout this month) but 7 of the 15 chose correctly. I definitely want to test more people as I still have a decent amount of samples left.

I will mention that the difference in taste is minute. Another member and I were reflecting in beers we have created without treating for chlorine/chloramine (back in my n00b days) and we agreed that we noticed higher levels of chlorophenols than what we thought we perceived in the test. The led us to theorize that perhaps a beer with a higher grain and, more likely, higher hop content would create more chlorphenols since there would be a higher concentration of phenols available in the wort.

I will continue to test more people and post results here.

FreddyMar3 said:
Sorry for the delay! I did do the blind triangle test and the results were encouraging. Unfortunately I only got to test 15 ppl (small turnout this month) but 7 of the 15 chose correctly.

I don't have a triangle table in front of me, but is this really a significant difference? The chances of picking it at random are 1/3. 7/15 does not seem significantly different.

I can't seem to remember if you wanted a difference or not! :)

^^ that was my thought too... 7/15 is pretty close to random guessing.

Can the OP summarize the experiment; I can't figure it out. So you made 2 batches of the same recipe, using filtered tap water, except one of them was treated with campden and the other was not? Since it's not a split batch, there could potentially be other differences in the beer due to process variation, correct?

By the way, what's your level of (a) chlorine and (b) chloramine in your tap water?

Sorry it is taking so long for me to get back to this. New job and house have consumed much of my HBT time.

I couldn't do this experiment as a split batch since the ingredient I was altering is the brewing water (prior to brewing). I made two, 1.5 gallon batches of beer with 2-row and cascade. I did them simultaneously on my stove and used grain socks as a mini BIAB. I did my best to keep everything the same except that the tap water I used was treated with campden in one batch and nothing in the other batch. Neither batch of water was run through a filter of any sort.

The level of total chlorine (which is nearly all chloramine) is about 1.3 ppm.

I agree that, for this recipe of beer, it seems the campden addition didn't create a noticeable difference. I have more samples of the experiment so i am hoping to do some more testing since 15 results is not many.

Latest posts

Back