"Beer" for smoking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenlock

Reaction score
Bought myself a 2 door Hark gas smoker today. Anyway, whilst waiting I was looking at the wood chips/pellets for sale and came across a bag which was labelled Beer.

Beer is comprised of spent grain and hops mixed with some sawdust.

Has anyone used their spent grain and hops in their smoker? If so, what flavours did they imparted?

subscribed.....like to know too!

On another note: cooking down (reducing) your favorite brew with some brown sugar and honey makes a great glaze for smoking ham.....

According to this table spent grain and hops is good for red meat and pork.

AustralianNativeTimberMatrixforSmokingR19.jpg

I tried a combination of spent grain and mesquite, but it didn't really burn that well in combination. Though the result was still satisfactory will pork sausages and chicken.

While not for smoking, onething I made once and was happy with was a beer steam effectively under the meat, then I made a BBQ sauce off the drippings and the beer and the rub. Have to tweak it a bit. Last time was a little too fatty so I'd probably separate it to skim some fat.

Back