So how do "real" breweries keep their yeast fresh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPBISME

Reaction score
So we are told that we are not supposed to recast the same yeast over and over because the yeast loses viability and changes over successive generations.

How do Breweries and Yeast manufactures solve this problem...

I mean they still have to grow multiple generations; why does it not change on them?

Please "blind me with science"...

DPB

They grab yeast from the bottom of the fermenters, toss it under a microscope to look at cell count as well as the health of the yeast - then do the math from that and calculate how much to pitch. If it looks unhealthy or has cells going wrong then they order more.

Not always, There is a brewery here in Cork, that use the same yeast over and over. The last time i asked it was on 184th generation.
I don't remember the details on how they keep it fresh. I'll ask the brewmaster next time I pop in for a beer.

pure culture in the freezer
acid wash when reusing yeast

when it stops performing as it should, start again from pure culture in the freezer

also reculturing from slants or similar doesn't give the yeast enough generations to mutate in a short period

The brewery I work at re-pitches yeast up to 10 times before using a new batch. They just run off the trub and pitch it into a freshly cleaned/sanitized conical, before adding the freshly brewed beer.

Seems to me caiafa has it.

That is the way we do it in bread baking. Freeze cultures that have the characteristics we want and if the current mother picks up characteristics we don't want we toss it and revive from the frozen line. A yeast culture will change over time but if you use it for the same purpose, using the same ingredients every time, it shouldn't change much past a certain point unless it gets infected with something.

If you want to keep a yeast strain at a relatively stable state, you need to feed it regularly and watch its activity cycles. The moment fermentation slows (not stops) you need to add more food, because at that point the other things in the culture start to gain ground. If you want to slow the growth of other things you have to refrigerate it.

There's also yeast washing, which seems like a more complicated and probably more certain way to maintain the exact strain you want.

Not always, There is a brewery here in Cork, that use the same yeast over and over. The last time i asked it was on 184th generation.
I don't remember the details on how they keep it fresh. I'll ask the brewmaster next time I pop in for a beer.

Cork? as in across the pond Cork? Man!... what I wouldn't do to join you...

I have been to over three hundred (300) breweries in the US and not one in an other Englinsh speaking country...

pure culture in the freezer
acid wash when reusing yeast

when it stops performing as it should, start again from pure culture in the freezer

also reculturing from slants or similar doesn't give the yeast enough generations to mutate in a short period

I am off to reasearch "reculturing from slants"...

Thanks

A brewpub I frequent reuses their yeast for one to two years. They have a brewing cycle where they reuse yeast from yeast propagator batches, generally lower alcohol beers. They do not reuse the yeast from the stronger beers.

So we are told that we are not supposed to recast the same yeast over and over because the yeast loses viability and changes over successive generations.

How do Breweries and Yeast manufactures solve this problem...

I mean they still have to grow multiple generations; why does it not change on them?

Please "blind me with science"...

DPB

I've wondered about that myself. As a biologist, I wonder how an organism being kept in and exposed to the same environment (fermenting wort) could "mutate" and lose it's ability to ferment wort appropriately. A production brewery would essentially be fermenting beers constantly, so the environmental stresses that would favor a mutated population seem non-existent to me. The "mutation" fear that is out there seems similar the risks of hot side aeration - not too likely IMO.

Cork? as in across the pond Cork? Man!... what I wouldn't do to join you...

I have been to over three hundred (300) breweries in the US and not one in an other Englinsh speaking country...

Yes Cork, Ireland Rebel city. Bring your rain clothes because it rains all the time.
That is why the irish are drinking some much beer.
I'm not irish but my beer consumption has increase since moving here. ...

Back