A couple more questions....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYeric

Reaction score
Hope you all don't mind all the questions, but I want to make sure of some things...

Sanitizing

For large buckets and carboys is it necessary to fill the entire container up? Or can you fill it up with say a gallon and then swish it around a bit?

For something that will have BRIEF contact with contents is it ok to use a spray bottle of sani and spray the item?

Thanks for everyones help on all the questions I have asked over the past week. You have all been great and I appreciate your help

For large buckets and carboys is it necessary to fill the entire container up? Or can you fill it up with say a gallon and then swish it around a bit?

Yes
Do it several times. I use half a gallon in a 6 gallon carboy. Then use it to sanitise other equipment.

For something that will have BRIEF contact with contents is it ok to use a spray bottle of sani and spray the item?

Yes (Use a no rinse an let it drip dry)

I think you have the hang of it.

I have seen videos of people using the "swishing" method to sanitize and it apparently works well for them. I also have used this method and never had any problems with sanitation. However, there are a few things that I do to be extra careful. I usually sanitize some foil and then put that over the carboy opening while I'm swishing. This makes sure that all of the neck gets exposed to the sanitzer as well. Also, I would be careful to swish the carboy really well and then let it sit for a few minutes. Then I typically repeat this process a few times. As far as the things that come in short contact with the cooled wort, I would say it is probably okay to spray things. I've done it successfully and I've seen videos with it done. I think if I were to make a usual practice of this I'd use a stronger sanitizer (Maybe you could use a cheap vodka for some of that sanitation.

The bottom line is though, that sanitation is one of the few steps in making beer that is unforgiving. You just have to ask yourself if taking shortcuts in sanitation is worth it. Most sanitizers require a certain amount of contact time to be the most effective and ofcourse this varies depending on the brand. I think soaking for the recommended amount of time is the best bet for the smaller pieces. Having a spray bottle handy should really only be used for back up stuff, for example, to give your yeast pack a last second spray before you pitch.

NICE!!!

I am doing pretty good so far. Everything has been pretty text book. Mrs. NY keeps asking when it will start saving money...hahah...I keep going back to buy more stuff. I currently have two primaries and two secondaries going.....PLUS my hero Ed's Apfelwein, and some Shiraz.

The one thing that seems to happen with both my beers is the airlock activity dies off quickly. I hear of some people having activity for several days. MIne is usually done in less than 48 hours. I am not really concerned yet, but was curious as to why.

What are you using for sanitzer btw? It might make a difference... Most of them are okay to use just a small amount (especially the expensive one$!)

As to your brief airlock activity, it depends on the yeast you are using, the "size" of the beer, and other factors.

Currently I am using LD Carlson a no rinse granular. That is what they had on hand there, but I figure I will go along with all (or most) of you and buy Star next

What does "size" mean?

One of those videos is probably mine. As long as you use a sanitizer that requires a less than 2-minute contact time, you can swish. I use one gallon of one-step in any bucket or carboy. Shake, let sit, shake let sit, shake and drain. It coats the walls for a short time so I do it a couple times for good measure. I can't think of any reason to make up 5 gallons of sanitizer unless you use one that can be stored for later. One step and Iodaphor are not that type but I believe starsan is.

Bobby_M said:
One of those videos is probably mine. As long as you use a sanitizer that requires a less than 2-minute contact time, you can swish. I use one gallon of one-step in any bucket or carboy. Shake, let sit, shake let sit, shake and drain. It coats the walls for a short time so I do it a couple times for good measure. I can't think of any reason to make up 5 gallons of sanitizer unless you use one that can be stored for later. One step and Iodaphor are not that type but I believe starsan is.

Maybe. I'm not sure. I got it off of Amazon for like ten bucks. It is connected to a website.

NYeric said:
Currently I am using LD Carlson a no rinse granular. That is what they had on hand there, but I figure I will go along with all (or most) of you and buy Star next

What does "size" mean?

Gravity. Lower gravity beer can have a quicker amount of apperent initial activity.

Back