Efficiency calculation help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MazdaMatt

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just finished brewing a batch of BierMuncher's Cream of Three Crops. Target OG is 1.040 with the original recipe. I scaled down based on some random post in the thread and used:

5.5lb Canadian 2-row pale malt
2.5lb flaked corn
1lb flaked rice (flaked? maybe I'm confused, it was rice from the brew store)
1oz liberty (60min)
1oz willamette (60min)

after the boil I had 21L and OG of 1.048@75*F

Can someone please help me calculate brewhouse efficiency? I might be able to figure it out, but... I've got some people over... and... you know... :mug::tank:

:)

you are close to 73%.
each pound of 2 row should yield 37 points per pound per gallon
each pound of flaked corn 37 points per gallon
each pound of flaked rice 32 points per gallon
at 100% efficiency.
which would have given you a og of 1.066 or a total of 330 points. divide 330 by 5 gallons you get 1.066 you had 1.048 as a starting gravity, divide 48 by 66 you get .7272727272727272 or close to 73%

Well that was easy... where'd you get the points per gallon numbers? (I don't want to have to make the same post in the future)

Cheers

Well that was easy... where'd you get the points per gallon numbers? (I don't want to have to make the same post in the future)

Cheers

i got the numbers from my brewmate software, which is a free recipe calculator download. also you can find the numbers in John Palmer's book "How to Brew". you might also be able to find a malt chart online. sugar's like honey, maple syrup, and others also have ppg numbers, as does liquid and dry malt extracts. all are helpful for formulating recipes.

Latest posts

Back