Giving Home Brew Beers as Prizes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markhagan

Reaction score
I run Extreme Overclocking (computer enthusiast website). Am I legally allowed to give beer away to my forum visitors as contest prizes?

I am not charging.
We are assuming I can determine their age.

Mark

I don't think you could do this, nor could you give away commercial beer. You'll need to check your local laws and perhaps the local laws for the individual that would be claiming the reward.

Computers and beer

<3

That was my thinking too!

I was going to challenge the guys to build a cooling system to drop the temp of 5 gallons of boiling liquid to below 75 F as fast as possible without contaminating the liquid. Winner gets a case of beer. If it is not legal, then I will have to give away a computer case instead or something.

EDIT: It is not as easy as I thought to find laws pertaining to giving away non-commercial beer.

I can use Texas, Kentucky or Indiana laws (whichever is the most lenient).

No, you can't. Federal law prevents homebrew from being consumed beyond the household it is made except for organized tastings and competitions. You don't even need to look at state rules. If you gave everybody a small sample then you might be able to pass it off as an organized tasting but if you only give the winner beer, it's not.

Yea, I have been reading up and I wouldn't even be able to ship it! That kind of stinks.

Oh well...Giving away hardware will have to work.

Back