Another keg carbing question. Set and forget

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otiluke

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
About a week ago I kegged my first two batches of beer. I set my regulator to 12. temp is between 37-40. I'm noticing that the psi is changing often. After the first day it crept up to 15. i got nervous and reset. next day it was at 9-10. got nervous again and reset. then i just decided to leave it. now it's reading low again. what's the deal?

Did you shake it? Sounds like the beer has residual carbonation (or forced by shaking) and your reg is playing catch-up.

Is it a new system? If so, just keep adjusting. It will even out and when it does just set it and forget it. It's not a big deal.

This is funny. I just kegged my first brew and I have noticed the same thing. It has gone down like 3psi in just a few hours after being stable for a day.
I was thinking that maybe it was the keg and the beer cooling that had an effect on the psi.
It has gone up and down probably 3-4 times??
HMMMMM???
Must be somewhat normal if we are both experiencing it.

It's the regulators. I have a set in a keezer that move all over the place. Strike that - They don't. When I move the screw it takes up to a day for the needle to point where it's really set at. I don't know why. My other regs don't do that, but these do.

Set it for 12 and a day later it's at 18. Crank it back down to 12 and a day later it's 8. Eyeball it somewhere in the middle and a day later it's at 12 ;)

You'll figure it out with practice.

Back