Apple wine vs cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
What's the difference between apple wine and cider? ABV? Semantics?

What's the difference between apple wine and cider? ABV? Semantics?

In my opinion, it's both ABV and ingredients. To me, hard cider says only cider, fermented. No sugar or other stuff added, and a lower ABV.

When I hear "wine", I think of an ABV of 12-15% or so and expect a more complex flavor with maybe some tannin, acid blend, etc, and I also expect clarity. I don't expect a cider to be clear necessarily.

These aren't the definitions of course- just my thinking!

thanks Yoop - I was thinking it was ABV thing - can't have a 5% wine can you? Didn't consider the other things, though I can see what you mean

but what is the the difference if you use 5 gallons of apple cider or apple juice?

I don't think it makes a difference. I believe the US is the only (?) place that uses "cider" to mean "unfiltered apple juice" and makes a distinction between that and "hard cider". Originally, and in most (?) other countries, "cider" is what you get from fermenting apple juice (filtered or unfiltered) - there is no distinction between "cider" and "hard cider".

Back