Halfway Through First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smata67

Reaction score
I just transferred from my primary bucket into my better bottle. I got rid of a lot of crud, I was unable to sieve it out on boiling day. I boiled 5 days ago. It bubbled strongly up until yesterday, not getting much at this point. The recipe is the Better Brew Summer Ale. I did pitch at what is considered a high temp: 85 F. I think this is what I had been used to with the Mr. Beer kits. I'll pitch lower next time. I think this is the 6 gallon Better Bottle. So, in 1 1/2 weeks (two weekends from now), I plan on bottling. I do have a question, though. If I find I am short of 5 gallons when the time comes for bottling, do I make up the difference with purified water at that point?

Here is a pic:

http://img18.imageshack.us/i/betterbottle.jpg/

Looks good and smells good too!

If you're short at this point just let it be. It's not uncommon to regularly be over or under a little with each brew, depending on initial measurements, how much you leave behind when racking, etc.

I hope thats just out for the picture, you probably want to keep something wrapped around that carboy. Light exposure = skunky monkey!

Back