4 volumes of CO2 in regular beer bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaba

Reaction score
I just bottled up a dunkelweizen yesterday. I overestimated how much beer I had and now I've ended up with beer that will have about 4 or 4.1 volumes of CO2 in it. This is not outside of the style guidelines of 3.6 to 4.5, but it is higher than I have ever used. I bottled half of the batch in the larger 17 oz german style bottles that Ayinger, Paulaner, etc come in, and the other half in standard american 12 oz bottles. I'm not too worried about the bigger bottles as they are made of thick glass, but the 12oz bottles are not heavy duty at all. Will I have a problem with the smaller bottles?

be very careful. I have a good friend who has lost the use of his eye to exploding bottles that were over carbonated

be very careful. I have a good friend who has lost the use of his eye to exploding bottles that were over carbonated

Yeah, my friend has had a few very violent bottle bombs that threw glass all over the kitchen. The best thing to do with potential bottle bombs is to chill them throughly and open them slowly, which I will definitely be doing with these.

Old thread, but looking for an update:

OP...how'd it work out for you? I'm bottling a sour and would like to carb it pretty high.

Normal long necks might take it but the risk of exploding bottles is very real. I try to not go over 3 volumes with standard bottles. Beyond 3 I use grolsch, champagne, duvel and other belgian bottles. A standard long neck is roughly 210grams for 355 ml. A duvel bottle is like 380 grams for a 330ml bottle, with champagne/belgian cork bottles weighing in at at least 600 but more like 800-900 grams (in my experience) for 750ml. For high carbed beers I aim for as close to 1gram of glass to 1ml of beer if I can.

Normal long necks might take it but the risk of exploding bottles is very real. I try to not go over 3 volumes with standard bottles. Beyond 3 I use grolsch, champagne, duvel and other belgian bottles. A standard long neck is roughly 210grams for 355 ml. A duvel bottle is like 380 grams for a 330ml bottle, with champagne/belgian cork bottles weighing in at at least 600 but more like 800-900 grams (in my experience) for 750ml. For high carbed beers I aim for as close to 1gram of glass to 1ml of beer if I can.

I agree. I'd be very leery of putting 4 volumes in an industry standard longneck. I think 3.5 is pushing it.

I have a collection of 16.9 Wheat bottles and 11.2oz bottles that I use for this purpose.

Depends how heavy the glass is. They should, but if they are thin, it may be risky. I bet if you ask AHS they can tell you for sure

Back