coors light recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooterkdavis

Reaction score
im not bothering to post this in the recipe thread in fear of crucifixion, wait... going to make a long story short. every month my poker group picks a beer for me to try and clone. they are all beer drinkers, micro brews and imports, but when we play poker we are drinking to get drunk and usually drink bmc because otherwise we would be spending more on beer than the 30$ buy in. anyways got a few good ones under my belt. Anyways last night one of the DD's brought 2 Stella's and challenged me to make a stella clone. I told them that i dont have enough knowledge to do that. after a bunch of **** givin to me by everyone because ive never failed before they told be to make the simplest lauger. COORS LIGHT. Can someone help me with this one, i dont even know how to make a light extract beer, or let alone had very good luck cloning lagers. If anyone knows a clone kit for coors light please help me out. personal message me if you feel shame.

Thanks

:mug:

Have you looked in HBT's recipe database?

Alternatively, go to Austin Homebrew's site and check out their American light lager extract kit. Now, that's a lager, so you have to be able to ferment at colder temperatures using a lager yeast. If you don't want to do that, you can still do a light blonde or cream ale, with a clean/neutral ale yeast, such as Safale US-05.

Have you looked in HBT's recipe database?

Alternatively, go to Austin Homebrew's site and check out their American light lager extract kit. Now, that's a lager, so you have to be able to ferment at colder temperatures using a lager yeast. If you don't want to do that, you can still do a light blonde or cream ale, with a clean/neutral ale yeast, such as Safale US-05.

if done a couple lagers and some steams, but im really trying to nail this coors light just to proove to these guys its possible. they tries some other clones ive done, from chimay to newcastle to sammy smiths. got pretty cloose on taste on most. but would really like to put up a lager.... Really id like to do a Stella clone just to show em, but second best would really be an exact taste to coors light.....

I know it seems wierd but i cant imagine or compute how to do a beer with so little flavor.

There is a Stella recipe in the database. I've done it and it's quite good - especially with some ageing. I think your poker buds would be quite impressed.

There is a Stella recipe in the database. I've done it and it's quite good - especially with some ageing. I think your poker buds would be quite impressed.

that sounds good, but i dont have an all grain set up....

im actually really tierd

is it possible to exchange the 2 row and pilsner for say 6.6# of pilsner extract?

once agian i know this should be in anothe =r catagory but

Scotch is a hell of a drug:drunk:

if done a couple lagers and some steams, but im really trying to nail this coors light just to proove to these guys its possible. they tries some other clones ive done, from chimay to newcastle to sammy smiths. got pretty cloose on taste on most. but would really like to put up a lager.... Really id like to do a Stella clone just to show em, but second best would really be an exact taste to coors light.....

I know it seems wierd but i cant imagine or compute how to do a beer with so little flavor.

In my opinion, a stella clone would be easier than a Coor's Light clone. A Coor's clone would use adjuncts, and the correct water, and the perfect lagering system. It would be a lower bodied, lower ABV beer. I don't know if an extract recipe could do a good BMC clone. I think the Stella clone, because it's "bigger", would cover a bit more flaws, although not many!

that sounds good, but i dont have an all grain set up....

Ahhh, I missed that you're an extract brewer. I think this recipe is pretty easily translated to extract. I'd go with this for the malts, and keep the rest of the instructions the same:

2.7 lb Pilsener dry extract
2.7 lb Extra light / Golden light dry extract
0.6 lb of Rice dry extract

Maybe try to find the oldest cheapest ingredients, don't use real hops, and drive it around for miles. That should come close. Oh and don't forget to serve it extra cold and have a sweet indication that it is cold on the container.

Or you could make a batch of some lightish beer and dilute it in half with water, just make sure your alcohol % before dilution is at least 6%

BTW I am being serious.

I'd keep it simple and just go with 100% pilsener extract for a light lager. If you can get any, 10-15% rice extract would lighten up the body and flavour some more. Make sure to do as big a boil as you can and use the late extract method to keep the colour as light as possible.

I had a similar request from my poker buddies. Most of them are good beer drinkers and love my homebrew but I have a couple Coors Light drinkers.

Even the good beer drinkers move over to the light side at some point in the night due to the mass quantity of beer being ingested.

With that said I wanted to brew a light beer that would knock everyone on their ass. I didn't have the ability to lager so I made this an ale with Nottingham but you could easily swap that out for White Labs California Lager to clean it up a bit.

The recipe is under my signature and it's not exactly what you're looking for but it was light and powerful. Here's the link too, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/fat-bastard-light-ale-116907/

Brewing a Coors clone will be hard in my opinion especially with extract.

I know Coors uses all 2-row as the base malt with rice and corn starch. It's not a recipe but it's a starting point if you are planning to build one. I would also keep it at or under 8 IBUs.

It's cheaper to buy coors light than to make it.

Let's add it up.

5 gallons of horse urine
2oz malt extract
one Hallertau whole hop or two pellets
one pack bread yeast

I think I could make CL pretty damn cheap. :drunk:

Alt%20vs%20Kolsch.jpg

How many beers does it take to be a complete beer snob???
please someone let me know so i can just stop drinking beer....
because if i ever turn into that kind of an ******* i dont think i want to drink anymore.

i would rather be sober the rest of my life than try to pretend im better than someone else because i only drink beer that is....

**** i dont know.

im sad i started this thread, thanks to all for the info, thanks even more for the generic i hate BMC relpies... im laughing my ass off at how original all those posts were

really funny stuff; i know its the first time anyone on this site has ever said anything bad about BMC and thats what makes it funny.

1) get keg of Coors Light
2) Place tap handle labeled "Coors Light Clone" on its tape
3) Voila you have owned your stupid friends.

These are both funny.

Seriously though, I think you could do a light lager with extract. Just do a late addition full boil with all pilsner malt and 60 minute addition to 15 IBU of Hersbrucker hops.

Pitch a full rehydrated packet of W34/70 and ferment at 50º until 3/4 of the fermentables are consumed. Raise to 64º until fermentation is complete, then drop to 34º over a couple days. Lager at 34º for three weeks, and you should be set.

It won't be Coors light, but it will be a good light lager.

NOTE: I don't know that much about extract brewing and have never done an extract lager. But I think that would work.

p.s.- Don't get butt hurt about silly BMC jokes. You should have seen it coming from the beginning, especially in DRMM.

Yeah, no kidding lighten up. You posted here so expect it here.

When I first started brewing, I kept trying to make something my wife and friends would like. It's just a waste of money. She wants Dos XX, I'll just buy Dos xx. I aint making it. Those light beers are really hard to make and any little flaw will stand out, either from ferm temps to grain and extract use. Make yourself a cream ale but dont try to pass it off as Coors light.

For what its worth, I dont think anyone was making fun of you.

I don't think you could do a CL clone properly using extract, sorry. Too many adjuncts, and you won't get the right flavor from corn or rice sugar. You could try, I just think it won't taste very good.

Have you not tried partial mashing yet? Check out my sig.

How many beers does it take to be a complete beer snob???
because if i ever turn into that kind of an ******* i dont think i want to drink anymore.

i would rather be sober the rest of my life than try to pretend im better than someone else because i only drink beer that is....

**** i dont know.

im sad i started this thread, thanks to all for the info, thanks even more for the generic i hate BMC relpies... im laughing my ass off at how original all those posts were

really funny stuff; i know its the first time anyone on this site has ever said anything bad about BMC and thats what makes it funny.

SARCASM ALERT!

I like that recipe a lot too, thats my facorite recipe -- its the one that I make over and over.

If you want something like Coors light though, Munton's makes an American Light beer kit. Make it with some Rice Syrup solids and you're golden.

ive actually had sex in a raft, its close, and i would have to say that the sex was better than the coors light; in fact i dont see any similarities at all except that mountains were blue that day and it was still not as refreshing as the sex. no not even close, i would say that having sex in a boat is nothing like coors light.:mug:

Let's add it up.

5 gallons of horse urine
2oz malt extract
one Hallertau whole hop or two pellets
one pack bread yeast

I think I could make CL pretty damn cheap. :drunk:
I'm not sure if the OP can get horse urine for free like some people....:rolleyes:

I think you can get a really damn good American light lager, if you are willing to work at it. This should come out pretty decent:

2.5# Extra Light DME
12oz Rice Extract
.18oz Magnum 60

Use 100% RO water or "purified" bottled water. This will yield 2.5 gallons of ~1.053 wort. Oxygenate really well and ferment at 45*F with a 2L starter of American lager yeast. Ferment until attenuated then slowly lower to 34*F for lagering. After fermentation and lagering are complete, rack off the yeast and top up with RO water to 4 gallons in the keg.

I think you can get a really damn good American light lager, if you are willing to work at it. This should come out pretty decent:

2.5# Extra Light DME
12oz Rice Extract
.18oz Magnum 60

Use 100% RO water or "purified" bottled water. This will yield 2.5 gallons of ~1.053 wort. Oxygenate really well and ferment at 45*F with a 2L starter of American lager yeast. Ferment until attenuated then slowly lower to 34*F for lagering. After fermentation and lagering are complete, rack off the yeast and top up with RO water to 4 gallons in the keg.

That actually sounds pretty good! Why the magnum? Because it's a "clean" bittering hop? Why not try using just a little hallertauer, though? Maybe 15 IBUs? Just a thought- I have plenty of both!

I'd try that- make 2.5 gallons, then taste and see if I really wanted to add water to get me to 4 gallons.

2.5# Extra Light DME
12oz Rice Extract
.18oz Magnum 60

Is there a reason why you add the water at the end fermentation and not before adding yeast?

im not bothering to post this in the recipe thread in fear of crucifixion, wait... going to make a long story short. every month my poker group picks a beer for me to try and clone. they are all beer drinkers, micro brews and imports, but when we play poker we are drinking to get drunk and usually drink bmc because otherwise we would be spending more on beer than the 30$ buy in. anyways got a few good ones under my belt. Anyways last night one of the DD's brought 2 Stella's and challenged me to make a stella clone. I told them that i dont have enough knowledge to do that. after a bunch of **** givin to me by everyone because ive never failed before they told be to make the simplest lauger. COORS LIGHT. Can someone help me with this one, i dont even know how to make a light extract beer, or let alone had very good luck cloning lagers. If anyone knows a clone kit for coors light please help me out. personal message me if you feel shame

I am a lager brewer, and feel no shame. If it's lager style, then I'll try to brew it. Coors Lite is a lager style beer, BJCP style 1A. Lite American Lager. Most of the razzing one gets from wanting to or brewing this style is just in fun. If there are a few posters that seriously have bought into the myth that BMC etc forced it on the public, it is only out of ignorance, and they should read Amitious Brew by Maureen Ogle, and other such beer history books.
Some of the above posts suggest that rather than attempt to brew this style, you should simply buy it for the intended porpose, and I fully agree. I have brewed this style more than any other except German Helles, and Pre-prohibition pils, and have found that to be successful, everything in your brewey and technique must be spot-on. IMHO you won't be able to pull it off without proper refridgeration equiptment dedicated to the job. Also, extracts will not do it. It must be done AG to achieve the fresh, crispness characteristic of the style. As has been mentioned above, it is one of the most difficult styles to brew.
If you have the refridgeration, and AG equiptment along with the confidence in your brewing skills, then PM me and I'll send you an American Lite Lager recipe to get started with. It's not a Coors clone, but kinda like it.
Cheers and good brewing.......:)

Edit: Taken from the BJCP Syle Guidlines
Commercial Examples: Bitburger Light, Sam Adams Light,
Heineken Premium Light, Miller Lite, Bud Light, Coors Light,​
Baltika #1 Light, Old Milwaukee Light, Amstel Light

Edited the original post I had here (It's still in the quotes below). Realized where this was posted. The OP is serious, yet posts it here. OP gets the ribbing that he knew was coming, and gets irked. Then I got irked because he was irked. Whatever. He has a valid request and I came across wrong. I thought my recipe was funny, as this is the drunken ramblings forum.

I agree. American Light Lager is a valid style. As a homebrewer, if I were going to make something similar, I'd do my best to make it unique and actually make it a good representation of said style. IMO Coors light is NOT a good American Light Lager. Sam Adams light is. Something I brewed myself, with a bit more care than a quick fermenter to can mentality would be as well.

To each his own, but if I have the skill to make something like this, I'd want it to be something more than a copy of a (IMO) substandard beer.

Sorry that you didn't like what you heard, but calling us ******** was a bit out of line.

Here is what he said:

>>How many beers does it take to be a complete beer snob???
because if i ever turn into that kind of an ******* i dont think i want to drink anymore. .... << (emphasis mine)

So, you can see the OP did not call anyone an ******* except those who profess to be, or are beer snobs. If you fit that criteria, then maybe he called you an *******. :)

Going back to the OP and his dislike of BMC jokes and his hatred of beer snobs.

Expect the jokes. There are several valid alternatives for light tasting, crisp, clear homebrew at a reasonable cost. Why not give it a shot before discounting them totally? I can think of several recipes here at HBT that fit the bill and will go over just as well as coors light.

Sorry that you didn't like what you heard, but calling us ******** was a bit out of line.

But suggesting he start with horse urine was in line? The OP obviously did expect the assault and was trying his best to avoid it. He even made it plain in the original post. He laid out his reasoning and asked for help with a very legitimate beer style. And thankfully, most people here actually helped. Everything about the light American lager is "valid." And Coors Light firmly fits that category. Was the OP out of line? Yes, but he was merely responding in kind. Expect if if you're going to be the one cracking the jokes. Why not try to help a brewer pursue topics they are actually interested in instead of expecting them to drop it so they can adhere to your worldview?

Back to the original question, x2 that it's going to be hard to do with extract. I'd go with Saccharomyces's suggested recipe with late extract addition but be prepared that it won't be a dead ringer.

Back