What's your favorite fruit extract flavoring?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm making 10 gallons of BM's Centennial blond tomorrow. I was thinking of adding some strawberry or blueberry extract to 5 gallons of it.

I've actually never used extract before...I've used puree and fresh fruit. I had a blueberry ale that a friend made that was with extract and delicious so I thought I'd give it a try myself.

The strawberry and cherry extracts taste too much like cough syrup IMHO.

The apricot is pretty good but is about twice as much as you'd want for a 5 gallon batch. Two ounces lets the flavor of the beer come through but is still very present.

Blueberry has been recomended by my LHBS but I've never tried it...

Blueberry is the best that I have tried even as an extract. I need to move up to puree though and see how that turns out.

I know some wont trust us on this but extract=****!! Do yourself a favor and use real fruit.

I did one berry with extract and one with real and I would rather pour the extract out then drink it.

I think everyone has their own opinion regarding the use of extracts. I personally don't mind using extract, but will say upfront to take it easy on the extract. Think about how much extract you want to use, and then add half of that amount to your brew. If that doesn't give you the flavor profile you're looking for, add some more. Just remember that it's easier to add more extract than take extract out of your batch... actually it's impossible to do the latter.

I also get good results with using both puree and extracts. I'm using a blueberry puree for the first time in a cream ale. This is a light beer, so the flavors of the blueberry should come out quite well. I do have a bottle of blueberry extract on standby as well though, just in case I need a little more blueberry flavor.

Don't forget, the flavor of the extract will become more subtle over time. I did a raspberry wheat a while back and at first, the flavor was overwhealming. Too much like a cough syrup. Let that batch sit there for 2 months and decided to have another bottle. The flavors dropped out quite well and the beer was a big hit with the SWMBO.

I think everyone has their own opinion regarding the use of extracts. I personally don't mind using extract, but will say upfront to take it easy on the extract. Think about how much extract you want to use, and then add half of that amount to your brew. If that doesn't give you the flavor profile you're looking for, add some more. Just remember that it's easier to add more extract than take extract out of your batch... actually it's impossible to do the latter.

I keg, so that works out fine. Add some extract, let it sit, then taste. Add more if needed.

Kind of hard to do that when the beer is in the bottle.

;)

Use real fruit. Your tastebuds will thank you. I just transfered 6 gal of an American Wheat on to 6 lb of strawberries. Smells awesome!

I have never used extract, but do have experience with the Oregon Purees. I have used Cherry and Blackberry and they are excellent. They ferment back out, and while my Blackberry Wit is purple, the actual Blackberry flavoring isn't anywhere near overpowering.

Should be a beer first, with fruit flavoring second.

I just transferred my Wheat to Secondary with Oregon Raspberry Puree last night and I think its going to be a great beer.
I dont like the idea of using a liquid fruit extract, I would think it would give off too much of a "fake" flavor.

I don't know about blackberry. I had a Sam Adams Blackberry Wheat and it almost made me hurl.

Tasted like cheap candy.

:(

Back