Total Noob Label Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko73

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a total noob when it comes to labeling my beer. I do not even know where to start. SWMBO had photoshop elements for digital photography and scrapbooking so I might try to use that.

My question is, where do you folks get your graphics/pictures to design your labels? There are some incredible graphics on a lot of your labels and I didn't know if they were had designed, stock or captured or a combo.

Any help would be great!

Some people start from scratch drawing on their PC such as ChubbyKid Brewing. he is awesome.
I on the other hand don't have that ability/knowledge. I search Google Image for a rough idea and then alter the images and add any text with GIMP.

Both GIMP and Photoshop can be daunting for the new beginner. I'd suggest reading as many tutorials as you can find... there's loads available on the net. Or better yet, draw out a draft copy on paper before firing up the program, and then check the Help or on websites to help you achieve what you're going for. For example, if you wanted to make a rounded logo with burnished copper-effect trim, and a banner for the title, you'd look at making a circle, how to add the trim (easy with a gradient filled stroke), then adding a banner, and finally adding text.

Once you're used to working with the program, it becomes a snap. But there's been many a time I've given up on an idea because I simply didn't know how to create the effect I envisioned in my head. This will come with time, but perseverance and a desire for knowledge will get you far.

That said, a healthy dose of creativity goes a long way too... :p

To sum up: Read shoitloads of stuff, and learn the basics first. You'll be on your way in no time.

Back