Long lasting Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doghousechef

Reaction score
I am currently fermenting my third batch. This is my first not using a kit. I'm calling it a honey pale ale. It had an OG of 1.061. I pitched White Labs California Ale Yeast at 77 degrees, then found a sweet spot in our half bath off the master bedroom that has kept the fermenter at an even 68 degrees. The first two batches I bottled after 1 week ( I know, impatient on the first, and had to stock bar for my 40th bday on the second). They both seemed done (no krausen, reasonable gravity readings). They were also brewed at higher temps (at least 72 degrees, and not as steady as this one). Vigorous fermentation on this current batch started at almost 3 days and at day 16 I thought I was going to bottle, but when I opened the fermenter there was a thick layer of krausen and the gravity was at 1.016(I expected about 12) with bubbles happening about every 30 seconds or so. I decided to add the rest of my hops instead ( I had about 1/2 oz leftover from the brew). Today is day 20 and I took another gravity reading. There is still a fair amount of krausen, but the gravity is at 12 now. I am wondering about how much longer to leave it before bottling. I am not going to be able to get to it before friday, but I wonder if that's going to be enough time for the yeast to settle enough. On the flip side, I read about autolysis and leaving the beer on the trub from more than three weeks creating soapy flavors. Any advice or comments would be welcomed. Thanks

That was a fairly heavy beer and it just takes the yeast some time to work through it. The heavy krausen is evidence of their hard work. The krasen will recede from it's max height but you'll likely still have evidence of some of it on top when the beer is finished. Once you get consectutive gravity readings for 2-3 days it is done.

You should be able to leave most of the heavy sediment behind when you move it to the bottling bucket so no worries there. Also many people leave their brews in the primary on the trub for 4 weeks or more. I think autolysis has been a bit overstated in the past, and you are fine at 4 weeks on the trub.

Sounds like it is going to be a yummy brew. You should notice an improvement in flavor from using the fresher ingredients as well instead of from a kit. Just give it some time to age in the bottles and enjoy!

The gravity samples so far have been quite yummy. This was the first time using a pitch tube as well, and I used 2 1/2 lbs of honey, so I wasn't too worried about the slow start.

Sooooo... I have a 2 bbl system and I just brew 250 litres of a Fat Tire clone with 13 packets of Wyeast Belgine Ardennes 3522 and it is exploding out of the airlock!!! I have a "floating lid" with my cooling copper coil rigged into the top of my 300 litre fermenter. I had to get the lid low to the surface of the beer So the cooling coil would be in the beer as much as possiable(beer creates a lot of heat!!), but I don't have any space for the Kraisen to rest in the interior! The Kraisen has pushed out 20 litres of beer out the blow off tube already!! The foam is so thick it is having a problem coming out of the blow off tube and deforming the lid that is concave into the interior!!
How long should this last till the fermentation starts to slowly bubble?

Loanly Brewer in Antibes France..

Latest posts

Back